• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should DNA tests be routine?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other thing with all this is that although it could result in better treatment for people that have a cancer causing gene, it could also result in worse treatment for anyone who doesn't as they decide cancer is less likely and so don't do the proper tests.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Those with nothing to hide have nothing to fear. Allegedly .
      Very true.
      Assuming you don't happen to live in a country that turns into a new:
      Nazi Germany
      Soviet Russia
      North Korea
      etc, etc, etc,

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Unfortunately the Government & ABI have a different opinion of this

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-...netic-testing/

from the Concordat
        As I said, legislation can manage this. Parliament is sovereign.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          The other thing with all this is that although it could result in better treatment for people that have a cancer causing gene, it could also result in worse treatment for anyone who doesn't as they decide cancer is less likely and so don't do the proper tests.
          or shove you to the back of the queue, so the tests are delayed.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I remember in a break through case some guy got caught because they had his sister's DNA.
            Sadly I've become addicted to the true crime/forensic investigation programmes. Although it's true that most people are murdered by people they know and the police can catch them quite quickly, there's quite a lot of unsolved murders. I have found myself wondering whether it might be a good idea to log our dna at birth. It's just that I hate the idea of people literally getting away with murder. And many crimes would be solved so much quicker.
            I know. Civil liberties.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
              Sadly I've become addicted to the true crime/forensic investigation programmes. Although it's true that most people are murdered by people they know and the police can catch them quite quickly, there's quite a lot of unsolved murders. I have found myself wondering whether it might be a good idea to log our dna at birth. It's just that I hate the idea of people literally getting away with murder. And many crimes would be solved so much quicker.
              I know. Civil liberties.
              But then UKIP get into power and start rounding up people with Romany genetic markers.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                But then UKIP get into power and start rounding up people with Romany genetic markers.
                We already have doctors encouraging the aborting of children with 'foetal abnormalities', some of whom when they are born turn out to be perfectly fine.
                It's dangerous ground, I agree.

Comment

We already have doctors encouraging the aborting of children with 'foetal abnormalities', some of whom when they are born turn out to be perfectly fine.
                  It's dangerous ground, I agree.
                  'Some'? More than one and less than all?

Comment

I know. Civil liberties.
                    Something to bear in mind is that the larger the DNA database grows, then obviously the closer and closer similar profiles become.

So expanding the database to include everyone will greatly increase the chance of an incorrect match and at the very least often make it harder to be confident of a correct match.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      'Some'? More than one and less than all?
                      Ask people whose kids have fetal abnormalities.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X