• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Santorini, Greece.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That does look stunning Marky.

Comment

Been there a couple of times. The main section of Santorini town at the top of the cliffs is a beautiful tourist trap, as you get away from the cliff top area it gets more run down and scruffy. If you don't mind spending the money then the views from the cliff top restaurants and bars are spectacular, especially at sunset.

Can't recommend any hotels as we've been there on cruises rather than staying there for more than a day or so.

Boat trips to walk up the volcanoes are worth the time but can be hard work when it's hot. Swimming in the volcanic springs is fun though and boat tours around the crater can give some spectacular views of the cliffs showing the layers of volcanic rock and ash from the original volcano.

There's not really enough in Santorini town itself to occupy you for more than one or two days imo. But there are plenty of places worth visiting on the islands - Volcanic beaches, Roman Ruins etc. - if you have or can arrange transport.

Don't bother with the Donkeys on the path up and down from the harbor unless you enjoy feeling out of control and terrified. The Donkeys know where they are going and don't listen to anything anyone tells them to do other than go up and down as quick as they can, they are not particularly friendly and can kick and bite if annoyed. If you are at all fit and healthy walking isn't that hard or you can queue for the cable car, just avoid doing it first thing in the morning or late afternoon as thats when the cruise ships disembark/re-embark and it gets crowded.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Thinking of a short trip with the Mrs.

Anyone here been?
        Is a 4 night trip long enough?
        Which 5* hotel would you recommend?
        Did you ever go to this Greek Island CM? I'd be interested in hearing your views if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          Did you ever go to this Greek Island CM? I'd be interested in hearing your views if so.
          Hi Pip

Long time no speak.

Didn't get to Santorini. Currently in the midst of a big HMRC settlement that I need to somehow pay for. Life is therefore temporarily on hold. Shame that, but I will get there one day. If I don't jump off a bridge in the meantime.

Dreams of freedom from the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Hope all is well with you.

Comment

Haven't been to Greece since my hippy hitch hiking days but off to Crete in May.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Hi Pip

Long time no speak.

Didn't get to Santorini. Currently in the midst of a big HMRC settlement that I need to somehow pay for. Life is therefore temporarily on hold. Shame that, but I will get there one day. If I don't jump off a bridge in the meantime.

Dreams of freedom from the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Hope all is well with you.
              Hi CM Sorry to hear about your current travails with that nasty taxman.

If it's any consolation, I shan't be going either as I've just realised from reading earlier posts in this thread that Santorini has been polluted by MrMarkyMark.

I would feel defiled....

Comment

Working...
              X