• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vote Leave chief who created £350m NHS lie on bus admits leaving EU could be an error

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MeMeMe1966 View Post
    I am always confused by those that say the bus slogan was a lie. It was certainly misleading but was it a lie?

"We send the EU £350 million a week, let's fund our NHS instead. Vote Leave. Let's take back control."

So prior to the rebate we do send them £350 million a week, this isn't a lie exactly? It just doesn't give them the net contribution amount. "Let's fund our NHS instead". It doesn't say that the amount available to fund the NHS if we left the EU would be £350m although it implies it. It also doesn't mention that funding the NHS instead would be at the expense of EU money spent in the poorer areas of the UK. This is also misleading.

I've always been uneasy about the claim that the bus slogan was a lie. Certainly misleading but i wouldn't call it a lie.
    Judging by recent reports of other EU countries anticipating having to cough up an extra £20 billion each annually after Brexit, it wasn't a lie at all.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Brexit: Minister appointed to negotiate Britain's withdrawal wants European Union 'wholly torn down' | The Independent

The Tory government is immensely entertaining. Government ministers make Corbyn look like a great statesman.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        No, it wasn't a lie, it was misleading, therefore fraudulent.
        Fraud!

Lol that's a bit much!
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          No, it wasn't a lie, it was misleading, therefore fraudulent.

Not sure if misleading in advertising = fraudulent?

McDonalds – “I’m Lovin’ It” <---- usually it's more roadside services "i'm dreading it" but too hungry to drive anymore

KFC – “Finger Lickin’ Good” <------ KFC usually leaves your fingers covered in yucky grease, most people don't lick their fingers after a KFC.

Carlsberg – “Probably the Best Beer in the World” <------- Debatable

I think there is a certain latitude allowed in advertising?

Comment

I am always confused by those that say the bus slogan was a lie. It was certainly misleading but was it a lie?

"We send the EU £350 million a week, let's fund our NHS instead. Vote Leave. Let's take back control."

So prior to the rebate we do send them £350 million a week, this isn't a lie exactly? It just doesn't give them the net contribution amount. "Let's fund our NHS instead". It doesn't say that the amount available to fund the NHS if we left the EU would be £350m although it implies it. It also doesn't mention that funding the NHS instead would be at the expense of EU money spent in the poorer areas of the UK. This is also misleading.

I've always been uneasy about the claim that the bus slogan was a lie. Certainly misleading but i wouldn't call it a lie.
            Does the UK send the rebate money and get it back or does it not send the rebate money in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Does the UK send the rebate money and get it back or does it not send the rebate money in the first place?
              Good point. I don't actually know. If they never send it then the bus was definitely a lie. Rebate usually means getting money back after the recipient holds it for awhile but who knows for sure in this case.

Comment

Not sure if misleading in advertising = fraudulent?
                "Section 1 creates a general offence of fraud and introduces three ways of committing it set out in Sections 2, 3 and 4.

Fraud by false representation (Section 2);
                Fraud by failure to disclose information when there is a legal duty to do so (Section 3); and
                Fraud by abuse of position (Section 4).

In each case:

the defendant's conduct must be dishonest;
                his/her intention must be to make a gain; or cause a loss or the risk of a loss to another.
                No gain or loss needs actually to have been made.
                The maximum sentence is 10 years' imprisonment.

Fraud by false representation (Section 2)

The defendant:

made a false representation
                dishonestly
                knowing that the representation was or might be untrue or misleading
                with intent to make a gain for himself or another, to cause loss to another or to expose another to risk of loss.

The offence is entirely focused on the conduct of the defendant. "

Fraud Act: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  What was your favourite remain porkie? WWIII and the end of western political civilisation were LOUD, but a little desperate. Households being £4300 worse off was a porkie for the connoisseurs. The immediate Brexit recession and collapse in house prices were arguably most effective...for Leave. What was your favourite remain porkie?

Comment

Good point. I don't actually know. If they never send it then the bus was definitely a lie. Rebate usually means getting money back after the recipient holds it for awhile but who knows for sure in this case.
                    From wiki.

There is no transfer of money from the European Commission to the UK Treasury involved; the effect of the rebate is to reduce the size of the UK's payments.[

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      What was your favourite remain porkie? WWIII and the end of western political civilisation were LOUD, but a little desperate. Households being £4300 worse off was a porkie for the connoisseurs. The immediate Brexit recession and collapse in house prices were arguably most effective...for Leave. What was your favourite remain porkie?
                      Let up start with WWIII and the end of western political civilisation. I don't remember those. Linky?

Comment

Working...
                      X