• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"the UK government was potentially laundering money for these people unwittingly"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"the UK government was potentially laundering money for these people unwittingly"

“The Home Office took these funds and potentially cleaned that money for the Ablyazovs. That’s ultimately what it looks like,” Hirst continues. “If this money was not legitimate, [if] it was dirty money that was coming in through the Tier 1 Investor scheme, and it was invested in UK government bonds, the UK government was potentially laundering money for these people unwittingly.”

A lot more from the source: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ip-home-office

unwittingly -

--

"Today, with the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU still to be decided, the Tier 1 scheme’s future looks perilous. Instead, the British are wondering if they might like to acquire golden visas elsewhere instead. “We never had inquiries from British people in our industry before, and for the first time we’re getting inquiries from British people saying, ‘What will it mean for me to have a British passport if I can’t go to Europe?’” says Hanafin."

---

My answer - it sucks the big one. Might as well do assguru -

"Right now, he says, Portugal offers the best deal. “Half a million euros investment in real estate … gets you residency, but most people don’t live there. Most people use it to invest, rent the property out, but they’ve got it as a sort of security policy.”"

Probably made sense at 00.42 after a few vodkas.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Probably made sense at 00.42 after a few vodkas.
      00.42 is after nobbing a few squirrels and before the vodkas.

Comment

On a slightly more serious note, it makes sense to prioritise those who bring wealth to the UK although have to agree we need to check they are not gangsters etc. who could also bring problems to the UK.

PS Shows how little enthusiasm I have to get off my butt this morning that I bothered to read (briefly scan) that tedious Guardian article.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
        X