• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

77% of graduates won't pay all of their student loan back before they die

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77% of graduates won't pay all of their student loan back before they die

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9334
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Literally tax people to death....

My student loan was paid off last year finally but then they hit us with the divi tax.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      Literally tax people to death....

My student loan was paid off last year finally but then they hit us with the divi tax.
      Spend your life in a series of easy monthly repayments, and get the remainder written off as a death bonus!

What have we become?
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

77% of graduates have ******* pointless degrees?

If your degree doesn't enable you to earn enough to pay back the tuition fees then perhaps you shouldn't be doing that degree.

Comment

I thought Student debt was written off at 50?

Are students now so fat their life expectancy is dropping?

Comment

It still doesn't stop vast numbers of students taking this route. Why hasn't the penny dropped for lots of them that their shiny new degree will not be worth the time and money 'invested'? You miss out on three years (minimum) of earning and experience too.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              It still doesn't stop vast numbers of students taking this route. Why hasn't the penny dropped for lots of them that their shiny new degree will not be worth the time and money 'invested'? You miss out on three years (minimum) of earning and experience too.
              That will be true in some cases. And untrue in others.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                77% of graduates have ******* pointless degrees?

If your degree doesn't enable you to earn enough to pay back the tuition fees then perhaps you shouldn't be doing that degree.
                Too much emphasis on STEM degrees for a spiv economy. The UK needs more people well qualified for hotel management, media and banking. Solid humanities graduates can take up the strain in management consulting.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  That will be true in some cases. And untrue in others.
                  I think you could pick with relative ease a good few degrees that - at the quote £50K - would be a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    I think you could pick with relative ease a good few degrees that - at the quote £50K - would be a waste.
                    Absolutely.

However a good Maths or Engineering degree is worth alot more than £50k

Comment

Working...
                    X