• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grenfell rehousing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Do they not have NHS facilities in Westminster?

I take your point, but the local gov is doing its best in really tough circumstances.

What should they do if no social housing is locally available?

Acquisition empty houses?

Keep people in hotels indefinitely?
    Acquire empty homes from overseas speculators would be a start. Would need emergency legislation I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Acquire empty homes from overseas speculators would be a start. Would need emergency legislation I expect.
      Nope that's theft.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Nope that's theft.
        Only if it's taken without permission.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          It can be done on a temporary basis now I think.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Nope that's theft.
            Theft is illegal. Emergency legislation can legalise it. Parliament is sovereign, remember? And the owners would be paid in any case. It can be funded it with a new tax on empty homes owned by overseas speculators. The acquired homes could be occupied in the medium term by displaced residents until new social housing is built or acquired to replace the destroyed housing units. At that point the residents can move into social housing and the properties acquired from overseas speculators can be sold on again on the open market.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              No you clearly don't get my point about the NHS otherwise you wouldn't have written -"Do they not have NHS facilities in Westminster?"

The NHS is a complete postcode lottery on what is locally available, and even worse than that your treatment depends on the luck of getting the right health professionals around you. Moving to a different London borough, even one next door, means you will lose all of those you have carefully and luckily been able to find that makes your life worth living if you have a disability or long term illness. Until you yourself find or you have family in that situation then you will find out what I mean.

Also how was the Corporation of London able to buy a block of flats in the borough to house some of the residents? In other words there is building work going on there so more homes will be built in due course.
              Ok, move an able bodied family out to anther borough and swap the Grenfell family who need it in so they keep the access to NHS.

Or is everyone in social housing in London disabled?
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Why does my dads neighbour have a brand new car from the social every year? He hardly uses it.

He gets it because he's on the sick.

He is taking the piss. He uses it to go to the chip shop only.

People will take what they can get/ that is human nature.

The system is at fault.

This is the fault of the liberals.

Same as the boats. Probably an overlap of people too.

Face it you stinking liberals. With a limited purse you cannot win.

Comment

It can be done on a temporary basis now I think.
                  IIRC it could always be done. Cambridge City Council used to do this on derelict properties I think - may have mis-remembered.

But the overseas speculators are a real problem. Planning permission in London creates both housing and wealth in a market that will always be constrained. Speculators should not be allowed to hoard empty housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                    Why does my dads neighbour have a brand new car from the social every year? He hardly uses it.

He gets it because he's on the sick.

He is taking the piss. He uses it to go to the chip shop only.

People will take what they can get/ that is human nature.

The system is at fault.

This is the fault of the liberals.

Same as the boats. Probably an overlap of people too.

Face it you stinking liberals. With a limited purse you cannot win.
                    It's you dad's fault for living next door to psychocandy.

Comment

Ok, move an able bodied family out to anther borough and swap the Grenfell family who need it in so they keep the access to NHS.

Or is everyone in social housing in London disabled?
                      I'm not sure the continuity of care is a massive issue outside of mental health services, maybe I'm being uncharitable. Continuity of schooling is much more important, although I wouldn't see a 15 to 20 minute walk to school as a massive hardship for most families (there will be exceptions).

Comment

Working...
                      X