• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poles versus Brits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is that the native English speaking workers would have picked up the snooty tone in your voice on the phone - and whilst they agreed to do the job - they had no intention of turning up. They just said yeah yeah yeah and laughed at you after putting the phone down.

The Poles on the other hand, just thought you were another English guy. They would not have recognised the condescending tone in your voice.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      I don't see where he said he hated the UK? Perhaps we criticize what we love most.
      On the other hand it is scooter and he's thick as mince.
      Useful though. If we ever need to get a message to a CUKker at the low end of the Brexiteer IQ scale, we can tell scooter, he can tell jamesbrown, who can then pass it down the chain in a hopefully not-too-mangled state.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
        The problem is that the native English speaking workers would have picked up the snooty tone in your voice on the phone - and whilst they agreed to do the job - they had no intention of turning up. They just said yeah yeah yeah and laughed at you after putting the phone down.

The Poles on the other hand, just thought you were another English guy. They would not have recognised the condescending tone in your voice.

HTH
        Slow day in code maintenance?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          On a recent trip to Bath we pulled over to a RHS gardens south of the M25 for some lunch. In the restaurant I asked the waitress if it was always this busy (full of mums and babies chattering like it were an olympic sport, this was a Monday). She said sorry my English is not that good. So I asked the next waitress that came along and she apologised as this was her first day. So then I asked the 3rd waitress and she said... wait for it.... in broken English... I only work in the kitchen I don't do tables.

Seriously people... a trip to the UK these days is like visiting planet Vogon.
          Yes, Wisely is always very busy
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post

HTH
            I think what he meant was he's picked a bunch of cowboys, but has to find an excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Yeah laugh it off, sadly it's all too typical.
              I know all too well. There's a (British) handyman near me who let me down twice like that. He always sounded friendly and professional on the phone, but then didn't show up when he had agreed, and didn't even bother phoning to cancel the appointment or apologise afterwards. Luckily I found someone else who is more reliable.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Sadly I have to agree with Sasguru's experience here. We maintain a number of properties and use a range of tradesmen who are from different parts of the world.

I've found the Poles and Hungarians to be the best. Always reliable, working hard, doing a good job and complaining the least. They just get on with it and don't charge for every little extra or minor change.

I've found the Indians to be the cheapest and by far the worst in terms of communication, project management and quality of work (yes I'm still talking about building & home improvement ).

I've found Brits to be the most unreliable, the most expensive but not always the worst at what they do. They rarely turn up to do the job and they won't return your calls.

One thing to note with the Brits - if you pay well then you will get a good job done, i.e. you have to go top-end to make it worthwhile hiring a British firm. But in most cases top-end is not affordable or necessary, so on the whole, the lower/medium priced Brits are not comparable to the Poles/Hungarians.

Is that racist? No, it's just from my real-world experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Sadly I have to agree with Sasguru's experience here. We maintain a number of properties and use a range of tradesmen who are from different parts of the world.

I've found the Poles and Hungarians to be the best. Always reliable, working hard, doing a good job and complaining the least. They just get on with it and don't charge for every little extra or minor change.

I've found the Indians to be the cheapest and by far the worst in terms of communication, project management and quality of work (yes I'm still talking about building & home improvement ).

I've found Brits to be the most unreliable, the most expensive but not always the worst at what they do. They rarely turn up to do the job and they won't return your calls.

One thing to note with the Brits - if you pay well then you will get a good job done, i.e. you have to go top-end to make it worthwhile hiring a British firm. But in most cases top-end is not affordable or necessary, so on the whole, the lower/medium priced Brits are not comparable to the Poles/Hungarians.

Do you remember those at school that a5sed about, didn't turn up, and failed their GCSEs?

Comment

The few poles I've hired in the past have been pretty good, rough around the edges but at least turned up.

I've had issues getting reliable people in the past but have also hired British people that are excellent. Some are working all hours to get ahead.

One, did the extra cleaning work so she could treat her nephew, she worked full time and used her days off to do cleaning work.

These jobs will be gone in the a few years anyway as Robots take up more manual work.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Is it because living and buying a house in this country is expensive. So if you pay a decent rate you may get someone who gives a crap? If I was polish and could work here for 5 years and undercut a British person but still buy a house and keep my family in Poland would I be more motivated?

Comment

Working...
                      X