• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That was a close one!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    hmm so a free trade bloc that prevents its members signing trade deals with other countries
    It's obviously required to have such prevention as otherwise separate deals will be made and the whole thing falls apart, which is what Brexiters want more than having Britain prosper.

Comment

Does the EU-Jap deal have FOM and ECJ strings attached?
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Was the EU in the business of this kind of trade agreement in 1947? In any case, I doubt Japan would have been much of a catch then.
        Britain, France & Germany were in a bit of a state as well. No one apart from Switzerland had any money and theirs was Nazi gold..

Its been a thing for about 70 years as a trade organisation. I just pointed out its obviously a tulip one.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          It's obviously required to have such prevention as otherwise separate deals will be made and the whole thing falls apart, which is what Brexiters want more than having Britain prosper.
          so they should be good at making deals then?

70 years is a bit of a run up.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

so they should be good at making deals then? 70 years is a bit of a run up.
            It's better to have no deal, than a bad deal, remember?

Comment

Was the EU in the business of this kind of trade agreement in 1947? In any case, I doubt Japan would have been much of a catch then.
              Dunno why you bother. My 7-year old is more intelligent than vetran (sic). And that's not a joke.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

hmm so a free trade bloc that prevents its members signing trade deals with other countries so it has more bargaining power and has been around for 70 years is celebrating finally creating a free trade deal with the world's third largest economy ?!
                Intra-Europe is a free-trade block.

Despite the BBC's reporting, this trade deal with Japan is not a "free trade" deal (i.e. neither side can just import/export anything and everything). Both sides will have some form of protectionism.

However, this is interesting:

Two of the most important sectors are Japanese cars and, for Europe, EU farming goods into Japan.
                Protectionism from the EU side doesn't appear to extend to protecting the sort of stuff that the UK makes and exports to the EU (and neither should it if we're leaving).....

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  Does the EU-Jap deal have FOM and ECJ strings attached?
                  No, don't think so.

Comment

No, don't think so.
                    So like the Canada deal then.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

The point is after this trade deal is signed Japan will have tariff free access to export cars to the EU, whereas the UK will still need to negotiate that. Germany of course will get tariff free access for their car exports to a market twice the size of the UK.

You need to think about that in particular as to how this will impact the UK´s negotiating position.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X