• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charlie Gard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justice is only available for the rich. So why not life?

Ernest Saunders....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      So how do you feel about Jehovah's Witness parents refusing consent for blood transfusions for children? The courts intervene then.
      I've known someone who worked in A&E and this has happened a few times for them. Non of the parents ever protested much, apparently.

regarding Charlie Gard, I would probably be doing what his parents are doing if I were them, however I think the doctors who are treating him are probably in the best position to make the decision. It's a horrible situation for all and I don't think there is a clear right or wrong here.

Intervention from the likes of Trump and the vatican, who probably know little about the case is horribly cruel for the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
        I've known someone who worked in A&E and this has happened a few times for them. Non of the parents ever protested much, apparently.
        I've worked in other clinical areas - and this is pretty much the norm, but the parents know that the court is sitting there in reserve.

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
        regarding Charlie Gard, I would probably be doing what his parents are doing if I were them, however I think the doctors who are treating him are probably in the best position to make the decision. It's a horrible situation for all and I don't think there is a clear right or wrong here.

Intervention from the likes of Trump and the vatican, who probably know little about the case is horribly cruel for the parents.
        Broadly agree, but I do have a sneaking respect for the Pope. I am glad that someone (and this isn't typically US evangelicals who are often pro-execution) has a straight down the line pro-life voice to remind us all that there is another view and we should step very carefully, even though I would disagree with Vatican on abortion, broadly disagree on voluntary euthanasia and broadly agree on execution.

Comment

I've worked in other clinical areas - and this is pretty much the norm, but the parents know that the court is sitting there in reserve.

Broadly agree, but I do have a sneaking respect for the Pope. I am glad that someone (and this isn't typically US evangelicals who are often pro-execution) has a straight down the line pro-life voice to remind us all that there is another view and we should step very carefully, even though I would disagree with Vatican on abortion, broadly disagree on voluntary euthanasia and broadly agree on execution.
          That's fair enough, but offering to take him and treat him is way beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            But it should be up to parents. Dispassionate jaffas shouldn't be making decisions.
            In your opinion perhaps. The human race wouldn't have got this far without a few dispassionate jaffas.

Money is also just a human construct. How much is a human life worth in your opinion? £50, £500, £5000, £1.3M ??? Please do enlighten us oh wizened sage.
            Less than infinity. Money is a token for effort, and infinite money would mean the entire human race working soley on keeping this kid alive for ever. And that would lead to far more deaths.

Perhaps the question should be: why is this one life worth so much more than others?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              In your opinion perhaps. The human race wouldn't have got this far without a few dispassionate jaffas.

Less than infinity. Money is a token for effort, and infinite money would mean the entire human race working soley on keeping this kid alive for ever. And that would lead to far more deaths.

Perhaps the question should be: why is this one life worth so much more than others?
              It's not even about money. The question is on of ethics and of whether the treatment is of overall benefit to Charlie.

Comment

It's not even about money. The question is on of ethics and of whether the treatment is of overall benefit to Charlie.
                But no one can deny the parents right to fight for their child to the end, I know I would, very sad case, not helped by the sky fairy lot...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  But no one can deny the parents right to fight for their child to the end, I know I would, very sad case, not helped by the sky fairy lot...
                  If my child were murdered I would demand the death penalty for the killer. Does not mean it should happen though.

Comment

If as suggested there is any reasonable chance then why not send him or bring the drugs over?

Seems its a last chance but a free one.

He lives then its great, he dies then its sad but we tried.

Were I May then I would accept the generous offer and ask the court to change their mind in this case.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      If as suggested there is any reasonable chance then why not send him or bring the drugs over?
                      That's the crux of the issue I suppose. What's a reasonable chance?

His parents, desperate for their son to live, think any chance is a reasonable one.

The doctors think such a small chance isn't reasonable, and any chance he does have will just prolong his suffering, or cause him more (e.g. stress involved in transferring him, potential side effects etc.).

It's been through the courts now, so I think now he just needs to be allowed to die as painlessly as possible. It's am awful situation and as I said before, trump and the Vatican etc. Wading in on the issue is just cruel for the parents.

Comment

Working...
                      X