• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK economic data weakens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK economic data weakens

UK economic data weakens, casting doubt on BoE rate hike talk | Reuters

Doesn't look like BOE can raise rates now. Problem is the US has a policy of "normalising" i.e. raising interest rates.
    Which means the pound will plummet even further against the dollar and inflation will rise further as commodities are priced in dollars.

Or the BOE can raise interest rates regardless of the weak data.

Either way consumption - the primary driver of the UK economy - is going to fall.
    Caught between a rock and a hard place.

I predict proper recession by next year or earlier - while the rest of the rich world will be growing.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Doesn't look like BOE can raise rates now. Problem is the US has a policy of "normalising" i.e. raising interest rates.
    The US has a policy of wanting to raise interest rates, but that doesn't always mean the same as actually raising them.

Which means the pound will plummet even further against the dollar and inflation will rise further as commodities are priced in dollars.

Either way consumption - the primary driver of the UK economy - is going to fall.

I predict proper recession by next year or earlier - while the rest of the rich world will be growing.
    The UK has a policy of raising interest rates to keep roughly in step with the US come what may. So maybe you're right.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Consumption is the only driver of any economy.

Every economy in the world cannot continually grow without a proportionate increase in population - and the world is getting fuller and fuller.

It will not be a recession - it will be much much worse than that.

Think of any of your dystopian sci fi futures and you will get the picture.

We should be happy to live in the times we do - I fear for my children unless we can expand limitlessly into the rest of the universe.

Comment

In the mean time in spite of the Germans accepting over a million refugees within one year, peoples incomes rise, the government makes a surplus and is talking about reducing taxes because they're unable to spend it.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Every economy in the world cannot continually grow without a proportionate increase in population - and the world is getting fuller and fuller.

It will not be a recession - it will be much much worse than that.

Think of any of your dystopian sci fi futures and you will get the picture.

We should be happy to live in the times we do - I fear for my children unless we can expand limitlessly into the rest of the universe.
          If only mankind could invent technology. Could you have a game of Civ5 and report back?

Comment

Pound dropped again 0.5% , looks bad. Brexit car crash, Corbyn waiting in the wings to jack up taxes to eye watering levels.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Pound dropped again 0.5% , looks bad. Brexit car crash, Corbyn waiting in the wings to jack up taxes to eye watering levels.
              Just a bit of noise. Plenty more fun to be had in the middle game.

Comment

Nonsense. What about investment and innovation for starters?

Consumption can be a big driver in countries like the UK which typically has low savings levels and low investment levels compared to many other countries. We have one of the lowest levels of investment as a percentage of GDP of any major economy in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  We have one of the lowest levels of investment as a percentage of GDP of any major economy in the world.
                  Not true! Look at the trains!

Oh wait. Train companies are owned by foreign governments. So UK invests in other countries rail networks....

Comment

UK economic data weakens

Only true if the only concern is consumerism.

How much we consume, how much we waste - well that shows how greedy & selfish we are, so when you mention children, you don't care about them because we MUST consume now.

If you want to fear less for your children's future, then work out how to consume less now.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X