• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever faked a Death in the Family to get out of a Contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever faked a Death in the Family to get out of a Contract?

A friend of mine (non-contractor) told me about a contractor where he works who rang into client telling him that his step brother had died and he wouldn't know when he woud be back in work. It was no secret that he was known by colleagues to hate the gig and would constantly complain about the travel. When he did not call our contact the client for over 2 weeks they asked for a death certificate as proof and became insistent that he come back soon to continue his contract which he had not long started. Personally, regardless of what a schmuck this guy has been and resorting to such desperate measures I didn't think the client could legally do this? Interested to hear other people's stories and have you done anything similar yourself to jump ship from a horror gig?

Better to fake your own death I would think.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

No, it's too much like crying wolf.

Comment

Can we move this to general please?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
          A friend of mine (non-contractor) told me about a contractor where he works who rang into client telling him that his step brother had died and he wouldn't know when he woud be back in work. It was no secret that he was known by colleagues to hate the gig and would constantly complain about the travel. When he did not call our contact the client for over 2 weeks they asked for a death certificate as proof and became insistent that he come back soon to continue his contract which he had not long started. Personally, regardless of what a schmuck this guy has been and resorting to such desperate measures I didn't think the client could legally do this? Interested to hear other people's stories and have you done anything similar yourself to jump ship from a horror gig?
          I once paid to have the old man whacked to get out of a contract, but they ended up trafficking him to Turkmenistan. The good-for-nothing sod turned up on my doorstep five years later with a sheepish look on his face, a new gender and a number of 'social diseases'.

Comment

Every day I contract I die a little more.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Every day I contract I die a little more.
              Every time you post we do as well
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Every time you post we do as well
                Well in your case I may up the posts a bit more then :-)
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No no and no - man that's low. Wait until the day real grief strikes. You'll never pretend again.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why does the client want him back?

Is his agency silverlink?

Comment

Working...
                    X