• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car nicked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Still negotiating with Insurance company however I was reading on another forum (yes eek, it was pistonheads ) where this guy had smashed his Ferrari.

Anywho, someone posted that the purpose of Insurance is to put you back in the position you were in before the incident. My question was why didn't the insurance company offer to replace my car, like-for-like (or as close as possible) and then I continue to make the payments on it to finance company.

Or this isn't possible since it is PCP type arrangement?

qh
    Have you gathered evidence such as cars for sale adverts to support your claim?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Have you gathered evidence such as cars for sale adverts to support your claim?
      To be honest no as they were quick to pay the finance company(VWFS) and now just arguing the toss over 2k but we are nearly there.

My question was why didn't they attempt to replace my car with like for like? Or does it depend on insurance companies ie some do, some don't. (for cars on finance plans).

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        To be honest no as they were quick to pay the finance company(VWFS) and now just arguing the toss over 2k but we are nearly there.

My question was why didn't they attempt to replace my car with like for like? Or does it depend on insurance companies ie some do, some don't. (for cars on finance plans).

qh
        Unfortunately when you take insurance out you need to read the small print especially if you have shiny new things.

Most now also explicitly tell you if your car is new or nearly new whether they will replace like with like if you phone them up. If they don't then you need to take out GAP Insurance.( GAP insurers are a whole new other game.)

In your case as they didn't you may be able to challenge them if they pay out to people who personally pay for new cars like for like if they are stolen. You do this by either using the financial ombudsman service or the courts. (The "correct" process is you use the FOS and then enforce it in the courts if the insurance company doesn't pay up but it takes ages.)

This is why other posters have told you to look to see if you have another insurance policy that covers you for legal advice to challenge your insurer.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So you need gap insurance in case the insurance doesn't provide adequate cover, and legal insurance in case the insurance doesn't provide adequate cover.

Why not just go with an insurer who provides adequate cover in the first place, but that would require reading all the mind numbing small or other font size print they provide during sign up?
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Yes, small print I get the picture.

Only replace the car if we are first registered owners. My car was used by dealer but think he said there was previous owner but will check.

For loss or damage to your car caused by fire, lightning, explosion, theft or attempted theft, we will:
            • pay to have the damage repaired
            • replace what is lost or damaged if this is more cost-effective than repairing it; or
            • settle your claim by a monetary payment.
            We will decide which of these methods we will use to settle your claim.

And they've covered themselves (as you would expect) by the words "we will decide" so I never even got a say. Read my client/agency contracts carefully (and also get them checked) guilty as charged in that never did this with my car insurance policy terms.

Hey ho, You live and learn.

qh

Comment

Yes, even if you read the small print and understand it they inevitably have clauses that make it less than clear or certain what will actually happen with a claim.

The best insurance policies are those you never use. Then you don't ever find out how much you've been stitched up or how poor the company is in honouring what you thought you were paying for.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                Yes, even if you read the small print and understand it they inevitably have clauses that make it less than clear or certain what will actually happen with a claim.

The best insurance policies are those you never use. Then you don't ever find out how much you've been stitched up or how poor the company is in honouring what you thought you were paying for.
                Yep the devil is definitely in the detail.

qh

Comment

Never ever ceases to amaze me the number of people who'll leave over 20 grands worth of car on the drive and have a garage full of crap worth about 2 and 6 pence.

Learn your lesson. Those who havent or wont, tough.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                    Never ever ceases to amaze me the number of people who'll leave over 20 grands worth of car on the drive and have a garage full of crap worth about 2 and 6 pence.

Learn your lesson. Those who havent or wont, tough.
                    Hardly relevant this time, though, is it?

They broke into his house and took the keys.
                    Even if his car was in the garage, surely it is likely the garage key was on the same key fob?
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Hardly relevant this time, though, is it?

They broke into his house and took the keys.
                      Even if his car was in the garage, surely it is likely the garage key was on the same key fob?
                      Of course it is a relevant time to learn a lesson. Are you stupid or something (that's a rethorical question BTW)?

Yes, they broke into the house looking for the keys for a car on the drive that was worth, what, £25,000 to £30,000? It's called advertising in other places.

Leave your flash car on the drive and advertise it to the local scrotes and thieves. You pays yer money and all that.

Comment

Working...
                      X