• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vote for us and we'll wipe the debt away...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    It is still possible to get a job at 16, work hard and be successful.
    I agree. However it is less likely than it was when you were 16.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      ^ This

At the moment society has made the stupid mistake of thinking the only route to wealth is in an office. Quite the opposite is true. My Daughter's mate dropped out of school for not being academic and is now working on the local farms driving agricultural machines. He's earning more than most of the graduates will for some time in their career and he's only sixteen...

See also other manual skilled trades such as plumbers, brickies, sparkies, hair dressers. Many coining it in, some so much so you get wingers on here when their 'booked' tradesman doesn't turn up on time (or at all) as they aren't having to chase the work.

I sometimes wish I'd gone down that route and would have years and years of experience instead of having to renew my skills every time those at Microsoft (etc) decide a different way of getting data out of a database and onto a screen is the new 'best' way.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hilarious. All the thickos who left school at 16 with not a CSE to their name, now in non-jobs in the public sector, lining up to condemn "arts" degrees.

I suppose if they had paid attention to their basic arithmetic when they were about 8 years old, they would be able to work out how much Britain exports in terms of "arts and culture" exports - TV programs alone worth several billion.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Those statistics look pretty accurate to me, for every 5 people laughing at the mugs that go to university and get loaded with 50k of debt, two of them will be rolling in it as a skilled tradesperson. The other three will just be laughing as they sponge the benefits of watching Jeremy Kyle in their tracky bottoms.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            The other three will just be laughing as they sponge the benefits of watching Jeremy Kyle in their tracky bottoms.
            Indeed sounds like Original PM, SB and vetran.
            Yes you may be right.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Indeed sounds like Original PM, SB and vetran.
              Yes you may be right.

Comment

So, was actually a slight untruth published by the right wing media: https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...h-student-debt

Which is no ******* surprise but the thicko public took it all in, they ******* deserve every ******* thing that is coming their way, ****ed up morons. Doesn't surprise me in the least with the incompetent cretins leading the country to say the least: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ified-teachers
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  So, was actually a slight untruth published by the right wing media: https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...h-student-debt

Which is no ******* surprise but the thicko public took it all in, they ******* deserve every ******* thing that is coming their way, ****ed up morons. Doesn't surprise me in the least with the incompetent cretins leading the country to say the least: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ified-teachers
                  Err - I just read that - and it seems to validate the underlying accusation....

I don't think many on the right claim that he pledged to abolish student debt.

But he was misleading - I believe unintentionally. But when it became apparent that people were jumping to conclusions - he did absolutely nothing to clarify his words. To quote from the link you provided above.

Originally posted by JeremyCorbyn
                  “There is a block of those that currently have a massive debt, and I’m looking at ways that we could reduce that, ameliorate that, lengthen the period of paying it off, or some other means of reducing that debt burden.”

He added: “I don’t have the simple answer for it at this stage – I don’t think anybody would expect me to, because this election was called unexpectedly; we had two weeks to prepare all of this. But I’m very well aware of that problem.

“And I don’t see why those that had the historical misfortune to be at university during the £9,000 period should be burdened excessively compared to those that went before or those that come after. I will deal with it.”
                  It's the bottom paragraph which was most quoted - but even in it's entirety, he strongly hints that he's going to reduce student debt - and it really isn't that much of a jump to think that he's going to erase it.

But once he realised how his words were being interpreted, he had plenty of opportunity to clarify what he meant - did he - did he hell.

Comment

Centurian is quite right. It is not a categorical promise but anyone reading that would think there was a very good chance that he would eliminate or reduce the debt. It was more the means he was unsure about.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Centurian is quite right. It is not a categorical promise but anyone reading that would think there was a very good chance that he would eliminate or reduce the debt. It was more the means he was unsure about.
                      He is going to use the 350 million per week.

Comment

Working...
                      X