• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK slipping into recession "like old man lowering himself into a bath"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Brexiters have been asked time and time again to provide a plan for more growth, so where it that plan?

The UK can drop corporation tax now.

They can do that now.

They can do that now.

They can do that now.

And why is that? Is it anything, or nothing, to do with the UK being part of the EU?

They can do that now.

Okay.

They can do that now.

Okay.

They can do that now.

So, effectively, your grand plan for rejuvenating the UK is to turn Wales into a tax haven and to survive on fishing? Those are the opportunities that you want a recession for?
    I don't want a recession. I am pro-EU.

My point is not that all these things could be done outside of the EU only.

I was just making a point that there are scenarios post-brexit that could lead to a better outcome than OP implied doom.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      The hope for the bright long term future relies on the UK government being any better than the EU. The painful fact is that it's much worse.

UK Governments from the past two decades have been all short termist. Recent debacles are clear sign that it's not getting any better. What makes you think this is about to change and they will start looking 20 years ahead when the supposedly positive change from Brexit should materialise?

Good luck getting the financial sector back once they sail away. Why would any investor pick UK over EU post brexit? What do we have to offer that the EU can't?

Startups rely extremely on talent, good luck attracting them after shutting the door to 500mil EU citizens.

The whole approach to Brexit was like serving the 2 month notice on your permie role, because someone told you there are big money in contracting. Without researching whether you have enough experience or the state of the market or saving enough money. So here we are notice (A50) served, and no agents are calling back for those lucrative contract roles (FTAs)
      There is an abundance of homegrown talent in the top tier unis. But they don't often end up in startups. Unlike in the US (and Australia these days). They end up working for multinationals.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
        I don't want a recession. I am pro-EU.

My point is not that all these things could be done outside of the EU only.

I was just making a point that there are scenarios post-brexit that could lead to a better outcome than OP implied doom.
        Your statement was that "there are many scenarios where Britain could be independent and thriving in the longer term".

You have yet to provide any suggestions that confirm that to be the case that could not be achieved without Brexit.

Comment

Your statement was that "there are many scenarios where Britain could be independent and thriving in the longer term".

You have yet to provide any suggestions that confirm that to be the case that could not be achieved without Brexit.
          To be fair to AussieSchlong I did ask for scenarios post Brexit and he's provided fishing for the North of England.
          Which is nice.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

This Caller Is James O'Brien's Proof That Brexiteers Won't Listen To Reason - LBC

This is your average Brexit voter.

Comment

There is an abundance of homegrown talent in the top tier unis. But they don't often end up in startups. Unlike in the US (and Australia these days). They end up working for multinationals.
              Top-tier uni people will be fine pre, post or no Brexit. Our skills are in demand even if we have to move.
              What about the rest?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

There are many scenarios where Britain could be independent and thriving longer term.

There are many scenarios where Britain could be in the EU and thriving longer term.

These are not mutually exclusive scenarios and I did not say so. I'm just saying it's not necessarily doomsday in this new world where we are out of the EU.

FFS - with mental midgets like you on board, we are f****d inside or outside the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Top-tier uni people will be fine pre, post or no Brexit. Our skills are in demand even if we have to move.
                  What about the rest?
                  Apply the top brains to homegrown startups. That boosts the economy because they are British companies paying tax in
                  Britain- imagine a homegrown Google, Apple, etc. Money flows down to the less able individuals who benefit from increased opportunities. This is how it worked in Australia with the mining boom. This is how the city of London works- many many people don't get near a trading floor but do very well out of the business generated at the top end flowing down.

Comment

Apply the top brains to homegrown startups. That boosts the economy because they are British companies paying tax in
                    Britain- imagine a homegrown Google, Apple, etc. Money flows down to the less able individuals who benefit from increased opportunities. This is how it worked in Australia with the mining boom. This is how the city of London works- many many people don't get near a trading floor but do very well out of the business generated at the top end flowing down.
                    So in other words just replicate the trickle down effect we had pre-Brexit (in the the booming City and Fintech) with roughly the same Post Brexit.
                    Except this time we've shut ourselves off to European talent. And have to go through an expensive process of attracting back those who have left.
                    Doesn't work like that mate. Have you been to Berlin or Lisbon recently? You can rent an office there for peanuts, you can rent a 3 bed flat for peanuts. You will have access to all the Euro talent + British talent who are open to moving i.e. most Remainers. You'll have access to a much larger market.
                    I agree with you we have great talent in the unis - most of those well educated youngsters will just as well live in Madrid or Berlin than in London - they'll certainly be able to have both a higher standard of living (cheap accomodation) and quality of life (no culture of presenteeism, shorter working hours).
                    People put up with high London costs because it felt like the centre of the world - it doesn't anymore.
                    I reckon there'll be brain drain post Brexit.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      So in other words just replicate the trickle down effect we had pre-Brexit (in the the booming City and Fintech) with roughly the same Post Brexit.
                      Except this time we've shut ourselves off to European talent. And have to go through an expensive process of attracting back those who have left.
                      Doesn't work like that mate. Have you been to Berlin or Lisbon recently? You can rent an office there for peanuts, you can rent a 3 bed flat for peanuts. You will have access to all the Euro talent + British talent who are open to moving i.e. most Remainers. You'll have access to a much larger market.
                      I agree with you we have great talent in the unis - most of those well educated youngsters will just as well live in Madrid or Berlin than in London - they'll certainly be able to have both a higher standard of living (cheap accomodation) and quality of life (no culture of presenteeism, shorter working hours).
                      People put up with high London costs because it felt like the centre of the world - it doesn't anymore.
                      I reckon there'll be brain drain post Brexit.
                      No, a startup culture does not have to be London centric. In fact there is the beginnings of one near Cambridge today.

But it's not the top end individuals in these startups currently. If the govt sponsored tech startups - you would see the UK dominating because entrepreneurship would be the number one choice - currently it's not.

I'm talking about making it hard for the best Cambridge grads to discount forming startups instead of going to work at multinationals via graduate intakes.

I don't believe all of these people want to live in foreign countries after graduating.

Comment

Working...
                      X