• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain and the EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Your mind is still in the days of the British Empire.
    You mean, Mickey Mouse countries with faster Internet that the UK, trains that run on time,
    Higher standard of education etc etc
    My measurements are generalistic, they (mostly ex-soviet states) for all of their so called superior education, they don't generate much money, they don't have a decent military to protect themselves, they don't invent much, they don't create much. A bit like Spain but without the fun factor and with less hot sun.

Sadly, my one regret is when we do leave the EU I might have to start washing my own car.

If the items you list are your top yardsticks of measurement then surely South Korea is the best place on the planet to live. Having being unfortunate enough to be sent there on work assignment twice I can clearly say it certainly is not. For reasons too long to list here.

Furthermore if these 'developing' countries are such a marvellous utopia of efficiency we would not have this mess to be cleaning up because quite simply, if we were useless nobody would want to come here. The numbers speak for themselves.

The 2nd largest economy in the bloc will be leaving the EU but as usual, it's tough being at the top so carry on sniping and posting negativity. If you are at the top it is to be expected and it goes with the terroritory.

Whatever happens next, in true British style, it will not be boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
      My measurements are generalistic, they (mostly ex-soviet states) for all of their so called superior education, they don't generate much money, they don't have a decent military to protect themselves, they don't invent much, they don't create much. A bit like Spain but without the fun factor and with less hot sun.

Sadly, my one regret is when we do leave the EU I might have to start washing my own car.

If the items you list are your top yardsticks of measurement then surely South Korea is the best place on the planet to live. Having being unfortunate enough to be sent there on work assignment twice I can clearly say it certainly is not. For reasons too long to list here.

Furthermore if these 'developing' countries are such a marvellous utopia of efficiency we would not have this mess to be cleaning up because quite simply, if we were useless nobody would want to come here. The numbers speak for themselves.

The 2nd largest economy in the bloc will be leaving the EU but as usual, it's tough being at the top so carry on sniping and posting negativity. If you are at the top it is to be expected and it goes with the terroritory.

They are NOT “mostly ex-soviet states”, please go and read some history and geography and get some facts rather than reading the DM. The rest of your post is complete racist garbage.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The trajectory of a country is arguably more important than it's current state. Poland has been growing at > 3% a year for nearly a decade.
        If it keeps that up, your children/grandchildren will be seeking work there.
        As for not inventing much - off the top of my head I can think of Polish notation in logic/maths/programming and the fact that the Poles made the initial breakthrough (if I remember correctly) in cracking Enigma.
        So Paddy is entirely correct to call you an ignorant sod.

Oh and also we're now the 3rd largest economy
        Last edited by sasguru; 12 July 2017, 10:46.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

oh dear

actually this is good, because if the riff raff really knew the truth about CEE they'd go there and ruin it like that have Spain

I mean look at _r_a_i_ as a holiday destination, thankfully even though slEazy jet fly into _p_i_ and from there they have very easy access to all of their islands, with the warmest clearest water and most unspoilt natural beaches in Europe, the riff raff don't know about it and don't go there. I was on _v_r island a couple of years ago, and in the main harbour the only English accents which could be heard suggested all the Brits there came from Eton.

to wrap up, Bluenose, you are right, and do us all a favour and keep holidaying in Benidorm...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...7579384923.jpg

and enjoy those unspoilt beaches and clean water

Milan.

Comment

Well SAS, It is easy to grow a country at 2-3% per annum with cheap labour and large amounts of external investment when you are starting from a low base. This is just simple economics.

Romania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, if you place them in a free trade zone under a military umbrella and democracy of course you will see growth. It would be hard not to.

Regarding working in the EU the problem in the future for my kids will be exactly the same as the problem I face today. Lots of jobs all over the EU - outside of the usual Swiss, Belgium, German big employers almost all want local language speakers. 20 years of growth in Poland won't change that.

Edit: world bank says we still 2nd largest economy in EU bloc. Where are you getting your info from ?

http://databank.worldbank.org/data/download/GDP.pdf
            Last edited by Bluenose; 12 July 2017, 11:26.

Comment

Well SAS, It is easy to grow a country at 2-3% per annum with cheap labour and large amounts of external investment when you are starting from a low base. This is just simple economics.

Romania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, if you place them in a free trade zone under a military umbrella and democracy of course you will see growth. It would be hard not to.
              Agreed.
              Conversely it's easy to destroy a country by stopping its access to external talent and making it an unattractive place to invest (since it has become a much smaller market).

Regarding working in the EU the problem in the future for my kids will be exactly the same as the problem I face today. Lots of jobs all over the EU - outside of the usual Swiss, Belgium, German big employers almost all want local language speakers. 20 years of growth in Poland won't change that.
              I suspect multi-national players around the world will all use English as their main language in 20 years time. That is one aspect of the UK's legacy that will persist. And also it' a poor argument to say you don't speak the lingo - that simply requires a little effort.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Your mind is still in the days of the British Empire.
                You mean, Mickey Mouse countries with faster Internet that the UK, trains that run on time,
                Higher standard of education etc etc
                Trains that run on time. Mussolini?

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                With the pound fallen from 1.48 euro at the start of the Euro to 1.12 today that would have been the best.
                If UK had joined the Euro it would have been stuffed.

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I can think
                I lost you at that point cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Trains that run on time. Mussolini?
                  [QI Klaxon]
                  Mussolini got 1 train to run on time once. That was all.
                  [/QI Klaxon]
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You really need to engage with people's points and if you don't agree with them say why. BEcause calling people posts crap without saying why just makes you look like the thick imbecile you are.

HTH! BIKIW
                    Oh the irony!

Comment

The entire article is a straw man based on the false premise that the EU is pro-immigration. It is not.

The EU is pro-freedom of movement of labour within its borders.

Comment

Working...
                      X