• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mobile phone - VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mobile phone - VAT

Quick question please -

If I buy a phone outright can I reclaim the VAT? I am on standard VAT.

My understanding is yes. Can I then also claim the same amount for corporation tax relief ?

E.g. I buy a phone for £100, and offset VAT of £20.

Can I also then get £100 towards CT relief showing the purchase as a business expense?

Regards

Ask your accountant tomorrow morning.

You have an accountant right?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

lol, yes I have.

Looking at some mobile deals now - late night shopping.

Appreciate if you can answer

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
        lol, yes I have.

Looking at some mobile deals now - late night shopping.

Appreciate if you can answer
        You need to buy the phone in the business name.

Comment

Thanks you, yes that I was going too.

I wanted to just confirm I can also claim CT relief in addition to reclaiming VAT.

Comment

VAT is applicable to mobile phone usage? Don't see VAT charged (or MwSt) charged in Germany for mobile phones usage.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yes VAT is applicable but for business contract the VAT can be offset against your output.

However my question was different

- If I can claim purchase of mobile as a business expense to get CT relief
              - If I can reclaim VAT paid on the purchase in addition to the above

Thanks

Comment

Just be aware that depending on the cost of the phone your accountant may decide it is an fixed asset. This means the cost will be depreciated over 3 years.

This is why I said talk to your accountant.

Comment

I also found the Amazon tablets, Echo & Firestick I bought last night are legit business expenses as well. Cushty.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
                    Yes VAT is applicable but for business contract the VAT can be offset against your output.

However my question was different

- If I can claim purchase of mobile as a business expense to get CT relief
                    - If I can reclaim VAT paid on the purchase in addition to the above

Thanks
                    Get a valid VAT invoice for the handset in the company name and you can reclaim the VAT. If the phone is for mixed personal/business use there's a limit of one phone per employee but you do not need to apportion the VAT for any personal use. No limits on the number of phones if they are just for business use but each one still needs to pass the wholly and exclusively test.

The phone itself can be offset against CT as a revenue expense or using capital allowances if you capitalise the handset (depending on the value and your company policy).

Comment

Working...
                    X