• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private School Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    +1 In all seriousness its not.

Was around £15K per year for my brother at day school and that was quite a few years ago now.
    Fees are around 15k. Then add uniform, school trips, sports kits, stratavarius etc and I reckon it's 20k a year.

Boarding would be a lot more, but I'm not going to do that as it's less than a mile away.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Fees are around 15k. Then add uniform, school trips, sports kits, stratavarius etc and I reckon it's 20k a year.

Boarding would be a lot more, but I'm not going to do that as it's less than a mile away.
      I would look into if you can do some consultancy work for the school to help bring the fees down - they are a business after all.

Not sure if it's allowed in the UK but in the US I understand you can donate part of the fees to the private school as a charity donation and save on your overall taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
        I would look into if you can do some consultancy work for the school to help bring the fees down - they are a business after all.

Not sure if it's allowed in the UK but in the US I understand you can donate part of the fees to the private school as a charity donation and save on your overall taxes.
        Good idea. 200 sledges should bring it down a little.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Good idea. 200 sledges should bring it down a little.
          MF saves the day....

Comment

I have 3 kids all entirely state educated. Eldest got a 2.1 in Engineering from Cambridge, middle one is studying science at a Russell uni. Youngest one will struggle to pass his GCSEs.

I have also seen a friends child have mental health issues because they were pushed too much in private education.

It is all down to the attitude and capabilities of the child.

Also don't forget to add 20% VAT and rocketing fees when private schools lose their charitable status if the governing party changes.

Comment

Don't get her a cheap copy they will take the mick out of her!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Mine's at a local private school (day only)...£10k per year but then that's just the teaching. Have to pay for everything on top of that, including materials in design technology classes, etc. School lunches not subsidised either so I reckon it's about £13k overall. Can't wait until exam time...have to pay extra for those as well.
                In my opinion it is worth it though.
                Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Don't get her a cheap copy they will take the mick out of her!
                  I thought that Fender had dropped the vio-caster.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Two amongst my fraternity are themselves teachers in public schools (private = public? What's up with that), I'm amused every time with their stories. No amount of money thrown at the school by little Johnny's parents will change the fact he's as thick as mince. One of them would talk about how business orientated the school is. Remember they exist to make profit, providing education is a side effect. If there is a child among the class who does not keep up with the class average business will be affected.

My own stance is education should be about learning through trial and error, project based experience with few tests as possible until early teens.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Two amongst my fraternity are themselves teachers in public schools (private = public? What's up with that), I'm amused every time with their stories. No amount of money thrown at the school by little Johnny's parents will change the fact he's as thick as mince. One of them would talk about how business orientated the school is. Remember they exist to make profit, providing education is a side effect. If there is a child among the class who does not keep up with the class average business will be affected.

My own stance is education should be about learning through trial and error, project based experience with few tests as possible until early teens.
                      Aren't most private schools 'not for profit' with charity status?
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X