• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private School Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private School Question

Question. Who sends their kids to private school?

Why am I asking?

Oldest child is now 11 and about to enter Secondary School, whilst 2nd is still a while off.

Never believed that <11 is that worthwhile for private education, but smaller classes, more competition/dedicated teaching is beneficial for 11+

I believe that those children who want to please, are competitive, want to exceed would be better placed in a private school with smaller classes

As we are all higher earners, what proportion of us sends their kids to private school?

Poll to follow
    I pay to send mine to private school, best thing I ever did
    34.78%
    I pay to send mine to private school, can't tell the difference
    0.00%
    I thought about it, but went state as I thought this was best
    21.74%
    Nah, went state, don't see what the fuss it about
    26.09%
    Feck it all, I homeschool
    0.00%
    Nah, kid goes to a special school
    0.00%
    WTF? I'm AtW and a Jaffa, I don't have kids, but I have a sofa
    17.39%
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Like everything, it's all highly competitive now. At 11 a lot of their personality is formed, private school is a lot about shaping that personality not just the quality of teaching.

Mine went private from 2 and a half. I would say definately do it if you have the money, but you may find they are way behind the others who have been there for a while, not just academically.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Question. Who sends their kids to private school?

Why am I asking?

Oldest child is now 11 and about to enter Secondary School, whilst 2nd is still a while off.

Never believed that <11 is that worthwhile for private education, but smaller classes, more competition/dedicated teaching is beneficial for 11+

I believe that those children who want to please, are competitive, want to exceed would be better placed in a private school with smaller classes

As we are all higher earners, what proportion of us sends their kids to private school?

Poll to follow

Depends on the kid and the school. If she's bright, diligent and hardworking, assuming that the state school is decent, she'll do well wherever she goes. ms#2 did very well at the local comp - had a likeminded circle of friends who all worked hard and wanted to do well, and they did. She was happy there too, which is important. Boys might be a different story, as it's not cool to be clever.

Comment

Your elder kid should go to private school.

The younger one should not - unless they are VERY autistic centered. I have a friend whose daughter had special needs at private school - total disaster. There is a private school near me that is superb with special needs - St Davids. These are very rare.

Comment

My little brother ended up with a 2:1 in law.

He went to private school initially, but didn't get on there at all.
          His grades improved massively when he went to the local comprehensive.

This was in Hereford, however, so classes would have been as big as in other schools.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Judging by the firsts in my family - if the kid is clever, regardless of sex ,and you live in a decent area (or London where you can send them to a school in a different borough) then send them to a state school.

If the kid is in middle or lower sets without special needs then send them private.

I've spoken to a few teachers who work in both sectors and they concur. Simply because more resources are put into the top set children to get them to universities, and some comps are proud of how many pupils they get into Oxbridge and Russell group unis.

If however you have got them into a major public school then you are foolish to not send them there.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

my oldest went to private since year 5, top 15 school in the UK and very selective. Very high standards and show how totally rubbish the government schools in the UK are.
              Youngest goes to an international school will see if he goes private for secondary as well, as EU funding is being withdrawn.

Sometimes it looks like only Volvo XC90 or Land Rovers are allowed at the school's parking, some frowned eyebrows when I arrive in my Polo

Comment

Private from nursery onwards in my case.
                I disagree that it's not worth sending them at primary age.
                A rigorous grounding and foundation in English and Maths from 7 to 12 helps them immensely in their later years.
                Plus private schools have many more opportunities to learn a language or a musical instrument or play rugby or tennis.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Do what's best for the child always, within your means. I'm not a great fan of being in a system where testing takes over learning. Mistakes are important, it is how we learn. Our intention is to send ours to private school which follows the Finish style of project based learning. Classes are small with a focus on the strengths as they develop. No testing until I thin they 12 or 13.

Right know ours are in the wild kindergarten, health and safety would have a fit back home if they saw children climbing trees and using saws & hammers!!
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Mine just finished the year7 boarding in a dance school.... she loves it

Comment

Working...
                    X