• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the EU love in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Even after a whole year, there is nothing to say what Brexit will look like, or how many years it will take.

It's not going to be what the yes voters thought they were going to get.

It is increasingly likely that Brexit will never happen. The tide has turned already. Admittedly it's not the time to start putting money on anything down at William Hill but the anti-leave tendency has been getting stronger. At some point the remaining yes voters will realise they simply have no chance of avoiding paying a lot of money and at the same time suffering significant trading penalties. There will be an outcry at how the scummy Europeans have double-crossed us, which proved the leavers were right all along, but then those self same people will give in to minimise the pain. They'll grumpily realise whilst they're entitled to nirvana, it ain't coming via this route.
    Agreed.
    Only a small ideological minority of the population want an economically painful hard Brexit.
    So whatever you call it, "Soft Brexit", "EEA" etc. all you're getting is a fudge. A fudge that is worse than what we have now.

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    In the meantime it's just a case of wait-and-see. Presumably the Government will get its act together at some stage, although why Boris Johnson was ever invited to participate in a responsible role, and remains so, mystifies me.
    Bozo Johnson was put into that role by May because he's much less dangerous there, being a visible plonker, than plotting on the sidelines.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      TBH I don't give a tulip about the SOuthern European economies. The only reason Brexiters bang on about them is to show how "evil" Germany is.
      That's not really in the spirit of the "European family", now is it?

And it has nothing to do with Germany being "evil" merely that there is now a direction of travel, whereby Germany calls the shots, and everyone else (including the EU itself in most cases) dances to their tune. True, it is simply a matter of Germany having most of the money, but the way EU accessions are organised seems on the face of it to be very much to their advantage. I'd need to find the actual piece I saw about 4 or 5 years ago which suggested 70% of EU infrastructure investment into 'some Eastern European member states' ended up on the balance sheets of German companies. Unfortunately the EU isn't nearly transparent enough to establish whether this is simply coincidental, or there's a bit more to it.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        The ECB commitee which is responsible for setting interest rates has representatives from all the countries in the Eurozone, therefore it is complete nonsense to suggest the interest rates were set to suit Germany.
        Any rate which screws Germany effectively screws the whole of Europe. So rates are naturally going to be set at the rate which benefits (or causes the least damage to) the most powerful. I think we're mostly agreed that Greece should never have been allowed near the Eurozone, but the political elite decided it should happen, and some creative accounting was done to suit the politics. It's the wrong way round, and that won't work forever.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
          Long time lurker first time poster, genuine question why are so many posters on here seemingly in love with the EU? Why do you love it so much and what do you think it is?

I've seen all the same tired arguments, leavers are sh it kicking retards that have difficulty making complicated decisions, but does sovereignty actually mean anything to you guys? Without that you don't have a country and all the rest really doesn't matter.
          Most remoaners are not listening to anyone on here that would be stupid, so when it comes to listening to arguments for and against then I would listen to people like the IOD, CBI , FSB etc. etc. these people run multi billion pound businesses and have been doing so for a long time, they are telling us that it is having a negative effect (needs FT sub) https://www.ft.com/content/b1a38be4-...63daf?mhq5j=e3 and I can see that from my own experience as well far fewer calls from agents this year then any other I can ever remember.

I also listen to scientists and engineers , telling us that leaving EU is a big mistake https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/...500328.article.

On the benefits of leaving, all we are hearing is we will be able to set our own laws (you will notice that any economic benefits the leavers previously told you have not been mentioned any more), but what law are you so concerned about on a day to day basis you would give up not being able to contract in the EU easily, risk trade and jobs (59 banks have already decided to move staff out) and according to the government will be paying more taxes due to loosing revenue from Brexit ?

Not sure there is any law I am so upset about that I would trade that for getting contract work, many in the UK are not getting contracts right now due to the uncertainty and lack of project work because businesses are not investing in the UK, you still sure you are so upset by EU laws or incompetence or is a roof over your head and supporting yourself or your family more important?

As for sovereignty its not something that younger people like myself are interested in anymore, OK so grandad fought for his country and because of that now expects that everyone in his country to be British, but the world has moved on since then, looking around my office (In Germany) there are a few Brits a few Americans some Canadians , Indians, Hungarians, Australians, Russians? could be Belarus or Ukrainian,one Filipino and the rest French German Swiss and central EU, so very typical of any project I have been on in UK as well in fact in the UK probably more so.
          Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Eurozone faces doom 'no matter what' | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Working...
            X