• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any air gun owners here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a very old one too. Used to go out at lunchtime with mates at work firing at targets until some idiot shot another bloke in the hand and they wouldn't let us bring them to work anymore.

Some used to shoot rats on the waste site nearby. I didn't, couldn't shoot poor little rats.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      one of the benefits of an air gun is you can use it at home IMO.
      She not doing as she's told again?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        We had all the kit, target, bows and arrows, basically.

If you are arming at a target, I don't see why it would be more dangerous.

As for your second point you never recover your lead pellets, great for the wild life, arrows can be used 100's of times, fitting new tips or flights as needed.
        You can't shoot a tin can with your bow, or so on - and for safety and cost purposes you can only shoot with a target backed by something to stop the arrows disappearing. More formal basically, I don't want to set up a proper range. Plus I expect the kit is more pricey.

An arrow is far more lethal... a pellet going wild quickly loses speed, an arrow even at low speed can go through your leg. Even as a puny kid I could shoot an arrow through a 2" straw target. There's a perception that bows are old fashioned and therefore less powerful but I'm pretty sure a modern bow is far more deadly a weapon?

You make a fair point about firing bits of lead into the ecosystem though. Can't be wonderful...
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          It's amazing "they" haven't banned bows & arrows.

They've banned almost everything else.
          Airguns are now licenced in Scotland (almost a full F.A.C. type licence with background and Dr references) yet you can still go and buy a bow or crossbow which is many times more lethal in a dangerous/£ sense with absolutely no checks or records.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Forget what it was now, I'm talking 1970s/80s, but there was something you could spray into an air rifle to greatly increase power.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              A little drop of Diesel with a syringe on the end of the pellet helps...
              WD40 ;-)
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                Pigeons and squirrels are pissing me off so been looking at pellpax.co.uk quite a bit recently.
                AtW approves this message.

Ah, memories. Some of which I probably shouldn't share here! Started out with a .177 Webley Tempest at around 10yrs old, then had a bunch of different pistols and rifles over the years. I used to go shooting (and modifying fireworks ) with my uncle a lot as a kid. My uncle bought an awesome pre-charged pneumatic revolver and, as an engineer, he managed to adapt the air cylinders to fire modified .22 blank charges. It needed a small hole pricked into each .22 blank () and an old paper cap from a cap gun to trigger the shot, with the air pellet in the front end as normal. Proper wild west six-shot

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  I have several (as well as shotguns and 'real' rifles). In England, you don't need a licence for an airgun (yet), but things have moved on from the 70's so you can't just pop over to the local woods and start killing wildlife.

Pop onto airgunbbs.com and they have faqs and stickys, just like here.

Aha, this might be helpful. I have two that belonged to my late brother. Cost about £600 each when he bought them and I really need to get around to selling them now.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    You can't shoot a tin can with your bow, or so on - and for safety and cost purposes you can only shoot with a target backed by something to stop the arrows disappearing. More formal basically, I don't want to set up a proper range. Plus I expect the kit is more pricey.

An arrow is far more lethal... a pellet going wild quickly loses speed, an arrow even at low speed can go through your leg. Even as a puny kid I could shoot an arrow through a 2" straw target. There's a perception that bows are old fashioned and therefore less powerful but I'm pretty sure a modern bow is far more deadly a weapon?

You make a fair point about firing bits of lead into the ecosystem though. Can't be wonderful...
                    Yes of course, you have to be careful we had a proper set from when we were quite young, 3 boys and we didn't kill each other.

We didn't have modern bows, as such, they were made from wood, more like a long bow.

I take your point about modern bows, I'm sure they are really powerful.
                    Similar thing when considering the casting power of a split cane fishing rod Vs. modern rod made from carbon composite.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                      [/B]

Aha, this might be helpful. I have two that belonged to my late brother. Cost about £600 each when he bought them and I really need to get around to selling them now.
                      They have a good second hand sales section although you need to reach a certain number of posts to get access to it, but they're a pretty good and helpful bunch. PM me the make/model if you know and I can give you a rough guide what to expect 2nd hand.
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X