• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional Working Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Do you seriously believe that?

The client does not set the "framework" of your contract with the agent.
    The client and agent argue over a rate and length of contract, the agent sends the client their standard client contract with those numbers dropped in.
    The agent sends you their standard contractor contract with the same length, but a reduced rate.
    The only other changes between contracts relate to industry specifics, e.g. Security clearance & insurance.

The agent has standard contracts that have been agreed with their legal team. They will not want to vary from that as that would require them to go back to the legal team to get agreement on the new contracts - not just to the contractor but also the end client. Why would they go to that expense when they can just lie to you and say "Client says no"?
    Of course they set the framework. Duration is under their control as well as working hours and pattern. Rate I agree they'll argue over but come on the client is pulling the strings. Legals and not wanting to consult the client to change the contract 100% agree with you on that one !

Comment

Originally posted by jungleboogy View Post
      Of course they set the framework. Duration is under their control as well as working hours and pattern. Rate I agree they'll argue over but come on the client is pulling the strings. Legals and not wanting to consult the client to change the contract 100% agree with you on that one !
      You're new to professional contracting aren't you?

Have you ever actually read an agent's contract end to end, then compared it to contracts from other agents for other roles? The client will give a timeframe. Everything else is dictated by the agent.

Have you ever gone direct with a client? You know, where you draw up the contract, you put in the terms, you put in framework.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I work direct for my Client, in the building trade it's slightly different as in winter, external work is somewhat restricted by light levels and weather conditions but:

I have a day rate contract. My day is whatever I need to do to make the work happen, in summer, I tend to leave home to get to work at 07:00 depending on noise restrictions, in order to sort the pre work permits and or induct new workers etc. I leave usually 1/2 hour after the last worker has gone so that I can make the site secure.

In winter, there's no real point getting there at 07:00 if it doesn't get light until 08:30, and mid winter it's dark enough outsie to stop work at 15:30 anyway, but my working day is still paid.

When I was in the office, I got in at 07:00, it's empty, I can crack on with stuff, so I'd set up the coffee machine, empty the dishwasher, do a bit of "site maintenance" and the rest of the office starts to trickle in at 08:30/09:00. I watched them for a while, they would all pack up and leave circe 17:00 so I started packing up at 15:00, having worked the same hours as them but started 2 hours earlier, I couldn't see the problem?

I was pulled aside by the boss, who asked me why I wasn't "working the full day". Wouldn't accept my answer, no, I need to work the same hours as everyone else...

So I started going in at 09:00 and leaving at 17:00 with the rest of them.

A week later there was a complaint that the coffee machine wasn't on, so no hot drinks when they came in, the dishwasher was still full, the office was cold, and could they complain to the "Morning staff" that they weren't doing their job. Saw my gaffer later that day, winked at him, carried on working.

But it's generally agreed now, if I don't need to go in to get done what I need to do, there's no point me riding all the way to Head Ofice just to sit at a computer. I can do that from home. I do it roughly twice a week.
        Sometimes....
        Last edited by Lost It; 21 July 2017, 11:47.

Comment

I agree with WTFH you are showing your ignorance on that one.
          Different agency contracts for the same client can be very different.
          At mine I've witnessed rate cuts not being able to apply to some contracts, some contracts paying a full day for 5 hours, some not etc.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You're new to professional contracting aren't you?

Have you ever actually read an agent's contract end to end, then compared it to contracts from other agents for other roles? The client will give a timeframe. Everything else is dictated by the agent.

Have you ever gone direct with a client? You know, where you draw up the contract, you put in the terms, you put in framework.
            Not all...you don't need to have thousands of posts on this forum to be an experienced contractor. By framework, I'm talking about working hours (or PWD), no. of days, location etc, rate less agency commission obviously. Are you trying to say the client doesn't sit down with the agency and spell out their expectations of contractors coming on board. And yes the contract the agency has with the client can supercede everything documented in the contract between us. Anyway.....enough time wasted on this subject.

Comment

Not all...you don't need to have thousands of posts on this forum to be an experienced contractor. By framework, I'm talking about working hours (or PWD), no. of days, location etc, rate less agency commission obviously. Are you trying to say the client doesn't sit down with the agency and spell out their expectations of contractors coming on board. And yes the contract the agency has with the client can supercede everything documented in the contract between us. Anyway.....enough time wasted on this subject.
              You have wasted a lot of our time, and still you refuse to accept what most of us are saying. It's not about the number of posts, but the experience.
              If a client takes on a contractor at a daily rate, it will be extremely rare that they specify the working hours that they mean by that rate. For a client that is madness, it ties them to how many hours they expect you to do per day.
              Clients do NOT set the working hours. You're the only one on here who keeps saying they do.
              Agents set that because they have it in their standard contracts.

The only things in the 10 page contract that change depending on the client are:
              1. Client name & address
              2. Rate
              3. Start date/end date of contract (or total number of days)
              4. Approx total value of contract (point 2 multiplied by point 3)
              5. Location of work
              6. Expenses

The precise start time and end time per day are not on that list. The number of hours making up a day are not on that list. Those things are done by the agent, not the client.
              The agent wants to get max billing from you.
              The client wants to get max time/output from you.

It is not in the client's best interest to limit your hours to 8 per day or 40 per week. It is in the client's best interest to leave that open. If it takes 10 hours per day, that's what you work. You don't automatically claim it back in lieu. You don't get extra pay for doing a couple of hours extra.
              That's part of why the client wants a contractor, not a permie.
              And those are all the exact reasons why an agent prefers hours rather than PWDs, because the agent has the option to make more money.

Comment

You have wasted a lot of our time, and still you refuse to accept what most of us are saying. It's not about the number of posts, but the experience.
                If a client takes on a contractor at a daily rate, it will be extremely rare that they specify the working hours that they mean by that rate. For a client that is madness, it ties them to how many hours they expect you to do per day.
                Clients do NOT set the working hours. You're the only one on here who keeps saying they do.
                Agents set that because they have it in their standard contracts.

The only things in the 10 page contract that change depending on the client are:
                1. Client name & address
                2. Rate
                3. Start date/end date of contract (or total number of days)
                4. Approx total value of contract (point 2 multiplied by point 3)
                5. Location of work
                6. Expenses

The precise start time and end time per day are not on that list. The number of hours making up a day are not on that list. Those things are done by the agent, not the client.
                The agent wants to get max billing from you.
                The client wants to get max time/output from you.

It is not in the client's best interest to limit your hours to 8 per day or 40 per week. It is in the client's best interest to leave that open. If it takes 10 hours per day, that's what you work. You don't automatically claim it back in lieu. You don't get extra pay for doing a couple of hours extra.
                That's part of why the client wants a contractor, not a permie.
                And those are all the exact reasons why an agent prefers hours rather than PWDs, because the agent has the option to make more money.
                In your experience the client does not set the hours but that's YOUR experience. Not every client and agency relationship is the same, experience will tell you that. "most of us"...well that's like the government saying we canvassed 7 people and 4 agreed with our policy so that must be representative of the UK population.

P.s.The client asked for 40hrs to remain in the contract because I spoke to him about it. Just because you speak with conviction doesn't make it accurate.

Like I said in other posts we can agree to disagree that's what life is about. Nothing personal......others can take it down that route if they want. I prefer to live in the real world with real people.
                Last edited by jungleboogy; 21 July 2017, 15:39.

Comment

P.s.The client asked for 40hrs to remain in the contract because I spoke to him about it. Just because you speak with conviction doesn't make it accurate.
                  Have you read your contract that you signed with your agent? What does it say about discussing the terms and conditions of your contract with the client?

I prefer to live in the real world with real people.
                  I prefer not to use agents, I write my own contracts and get the client to sign them.
                  When I've done that I have never had a client ask me to include hours worked per day or per week, or the times the office was open.

Comment

Working...
                  X