• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London house prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    How about this one, SW3 and 3-bed only £1.4m

3 bedroom apartment for sale in Beaufort Street, Chelsea, London, SW3, SW3

Think it is because I'm looking in Euros, I'm sure these properties seemed a lot more expensive a couple of year ago and have not been looking in London since.

Crumbs they are even slightly cheaper 3-beds in Pimlico, is Pimlico a bit of a dive or what? Can't wait until Brexit fully kicks in, there's going to be some bargains to be had.
    Firstly, if you're looking in Euros, prices will appear cheaper due to the catastrophic effects () of Brexit.
    Secondly, Pimlico used to be quite working class, but because of its location (very close to Westminster etc) it has been fairly desirable as long as I can remember (back in the 80's, it was very cool to have a pad there). Even the few council estates which have survived are considered to be fairly safe areas. The problem with 'north' Pimlico is that it contains Victoria Station, which is still a sh1thole.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      It is an flat on a Lease. You are paying for the right to rent. In other words you will pay rent own diddly squat and you will have to pay service charges on top of that. Leasehold, especially in London is a scam.
      sod dat. Only ever interested in freehold.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Firstly, if you're looking in Euros, prices will appear cheaper due to the catastrophic effects () of Brexit.
        Secondly, Pimlico used to be quite working class, but because of its location (very close to Westminster etc) it has been fairly desirable as long as I can remember (back in the 80's, it was very cool to have a pad there). Even the few council estates which have survived are considered to be fairly safe areas. The problem with 'north' Pimlico is that it contains Victoria Station, which is still a sh1thole.
        My search continues.

Thinking of selling my Edinburgh pad.. as find myself visiting Londonog more and more these days. And hotels, well I can't put it on expenses so...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          sod dat. Only ever interested in freehold.
          Lots of flats in London these days are leasehold with a freehold share.

Sounds good, but can be a mixed blessing if any other lessees are absentees or paupers or otherwise a pain.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Lots of flats in London these days are leasehold with a freehold share.

Sounds good, but can be a mixed blessing if any other lessees are absentees or paupers or otherwise a pain.
            That is just as risky because the Freehold would be held under a collective limited company. The Lease is the weak part. Any breach of Lease can result in the collective enforcing forfeiture.

As a Leaseholder, you have less rights than a sitting tenant. If you have a flat, you need to read up on the law.

It is a medieval law that the government is reluctant to change.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

That is just as risky because the Freehold would be held under a collective limited company. The Lease is the weak part. Any breach of Lease can result in the collective enforcing forfeiture.

As a Leaseholder, you have less rights than a sitting tenant. If you have a flat, you need to read up on the law.

It is a medieval law that the government is reluctant to change.
              Just going through extending my lease (share of freehold) from 125 years to 999 years on one of my London properties. I didn't know beforehand you have to rent the airspace that balconies take up from whoever owns the ground below (local council or the Port of London). What a pain in the arse!

However at least with share of freehold you have shared ownership of the building through the collective limited company that is responsible for the building upkeep if it is managed well which this building luckily is. I would always check companies house to see what state the company is in financially before making a financial decision on buying a share of freehold property.
              Last edited by redgiant; 18 July 2017, 19:50. Reason: Hic

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                I used to rent in Pimlico when I was working in Westminster at the time so could walk into work It's a very mixed area with plenty of white stucco houses as well as some well maintained council flats in and around Dolphin Square (very popular with politicians). Pain in the neck to park there though (had a six month dispute over a overenthusiastic ticket attendant ticketing my car when I was quite clearly able to park there ) and it's expensive to buy & rent. However it has the second cheapest council tax in the UK after Wandsworth

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
                  Just going through extending my lease (share of freehold) from 125 years to 999 years on one of my London properties. I didn't know beforehand you have to rent the airspace that balconies take up from whoever owns the ground below (local council or the Port of London). What a pain in the arse!

However at least with share of leasehold you have shared ownership of the building through the collective limited company that is responsible for the building upkeep if it is managed well which this building luckily is. I would always check companies house to see what state the company is in financially before making a financial decision on buying a share of freehold property.
                  You seem confused. Do you mean a share of the leasehold or a share of the freehold?

Some blocks of flats have a freeholder, below that a head lessee being the limited company and below that the individual flat leases.

It seems that you do not own the freehold.

Also beware of the term "ground rent", in legal terms it means the rent for the individual flat, not for the ground.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You seem confused. Do you mean a share of the leasehold or a share of the freehold?

Some blocks of flats have a freeholder, below that a head lessee being the limited company and below that the individual flat leases.

It seems that you do not own the freehold.

Also beware of the term "ground rent", in legal terms it means the rent for the individual flat, not for the ground.
                    No confusion (just mentioned leasehold once when I meant freehold once in my previous post - I blame the last G&T ).

I am a shareholder of the limited company that owns the freehold of the building so therefore I'm in a share of freehold arrangement. It's up the freehold company on how they wish to charge for the ground rent as not all share of freehold companies own the ground the building is on. In my case the freehold company does own the ground and passes on the charge that would normally be collected from all the apartments as ground rent into the maintenance fund to be used to install solar panels and other building improvements.

Comment

What price a slice of Utopia?

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/m...3508260168.mp4
                      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                      X