• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC top salaries disclosed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why is it our business what private companies, funded by advertising, pay their talent? Unless you want to disclose your company's salaries...?

I was surprised anyone gets over a million, and that Linekar isn't the top earner, otherwise WGAS.
    It's nobody's business how much BBC stars are paid - they operate in a competitive environment, much easier to poach somebody when you know how much their paid, if also helps taxpayers because otherwise prima donnas will demand higher pay

Comment

Transparency is hardly a bad thing. People get poached from the BBC anyway, the private sector know they're 'underpaid' already.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Transparency is hardly a bad thing. People get poached from the BBC anyway, the private sector know they're 'underpaid' already.
        It's bad thing for taxpayers in this case - there is a good reason why salaries are kept confidential, do you want yours to be published?

It's clear that the intention was to cripple BBC under the guise of transparency, make it easier for stars to leave, BBC lose ratings then easier to dismantle it
        Last edited by AtW; 20 July 2017, 01:24.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          It's bad thing for taxpayers in this case - there is a good reason why salaries are kept confidential, do you want yours to be published?
          Public sector salaries are largely transparent. Teachers, MPs... I have no problem with my salary being published in fact I'm pretty sure it's publicly available already thought companies' house.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Public sector salaries are largely transparent. Teachers, MPs... I have no problem with my salary being published in fact I'm pretty sure it's publicly available already thought companies' house.
            Yes, but in your case nobody is going to be headhunting you, where as top stars are key targets for commercial competitors

Comment

Surely they are only paid what they can negotiate? Same as my job. I'm reasonably well paid for the work I do, but not top of my game. I could press for more. i sell myself on quality, not quantity...

Comment

Apparently ALL individual's tax returns are freely available in Scandinavia. So you can see what people make out of wages, but also the other aspects of inherited wealth.

Oh man that would be an eye opener in this country. Wages are a smoke screen.

Let's look at inherited wealth, trust funds, BTL portfolio etc and how little tax is paid.

As for gender equality at the BBC, ha, they are going to get their arses sued. Disgraceful behaviour.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  Apparently ALL individual's tax returns are freely available in Scandinavia. So you can see what people make out of wages, but also the other aspects of inherited wealth.

Oh man that would be an eye opener in this country. Wages are a smoke screen.

Let's look at inherited wealth, trust funds, BTL portfolio etc and how little tax is paid.

As for gender equality at the BBC, ha, they are going to get their arses sued. Disgraceful behaviour.
                  Firstly "Scandinavia" isn't one country it is a group of countries - so which particular country are you talking about?

Secondly loads of foreign people are transparent about their earnings. So you can have an open discussion about salary and they will tell you how much they earn plus their benefits.

When I was permie for a company they tried to get people to keep their salaries under wraps. However they hired 3 Swedish people and soon everyone knew what others earned. A lot of the women were under paid and asked for more or left.

My prior permie company put explicitly in their contract you couldn't discuss salaries. However the law changed so this was illegal. We then deliberately discussed salaries, including some of the middle managers, and it was those with disabilities who were being under paid or women who had children under seven. So some of those with disabilities asked for more money, and when they didn't get it got better paying jobs elsewhere.

I've then been contracting at companies with French, Spanish, German, Filipino, Polish etc permies and they have no problem letting you know what they earn. It's only the British who have a massive problem with it....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    ... It's only the British who have a massive problem with it....
                    And the Swiss.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Firstly "Scandinavia" isn't one country it is a group of countries - so which particular country are you talking about?

Secondly loads of foreign people are transparent about their earnings. So you can have an open discussion about salary and they will tell you how much they earn plus their benefits.

When I was permie for a company they tried to get people to keep their salaries under wraps. However they hired 3 Swedish people and soon everyone knew what others earned. A lot of the women were under paid and asked for more or left.

My prior permie company put explicitly in their contract you couldn't discuss salaries. However the law changed so this was illegal. We then deliberately discussed salaries, including some of the middle managers, and it was those with disabilities who were being under paid or women who had children under seven. So some of those with disabilities asked for more money, and when they didn't get it got better paying jobs elsewhere.

I've then been contracting at companies with French, Spanish, German, Filipino, Polish etc permies and they have no problem letting you know what they earn. It's only the British who have a massive problem with it....
                      Norway, Sweden, also Denmark
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X