• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evil EU strikes again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    ...And once cash is eliminated...
    It'll never last. Some beggar, sooner or later, will write an IOU... (Neal Asher - Gridlinked)
    there will be absolutely no privacy
    And there is now? when was the last time you made a significant payment in cash?
    ...and the EU can impose a transaction tax on every transfer.
    As opposed to bank charges, or lost of interest during "clearing"?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      I'm not sure I can agree with you there on service. Numbers of journeys and passengers has increased, and trains arriving on time has also increased. Fares have increased in real terms (2.7% though, hardly skyrocketing).
      Another rail statistic is your chances of dying whilst travelling by train. Since privatisation, the number of passengers and journeys has increased, but fatalities caused by train crashes has gone to almost zero. The last crash fatality was over 10 years ago when one person died in all that carnage at Grayrigg.

(Excluding suicides, pedestrian foolishness, level crossing incidents and other similar train to car incidents)
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        Another rail statistic is your chances of dying whilst travelling by train. Since privatisation, the number of passengers and journeys has increased, but fatalities caused by train crashes has gone to almost zero. The last crash fatality was over 10 years ago when one person died in all that carnage at Grayrigg.

(Excluding suicides, pedestrian foolishness, level crossing incidents and other similar train to car incidents)
        And how much of that increased safety has come from the philanthropic nature of the privatised franchises compared to how much from EU regulation?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          WHS (meant to make the same point before Milan bungey jumped in and beat me to it)

And once cash is eliminated, there will be absolutely no privacy, and the EU can impose a transaction tax on every transfer.

So far from benefitting consumers long term, the EU are taking this sinister first step towards a totalitarian's dream.
          Quick ! Get your hat back on !

Where's my picture ???
          Last edited by radish2008; 20 July 2017, 09:09. Reason: Puzzled ???

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            And how much of that increased safety has come from the philanthropic nature of the privatised franchises compared to how much from EU regulation?
            Entirely due to the trains running so slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
              Quick ! Get your hat back on !

Where's my picture ???
              The Illuminati must have pinched it!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
              X