• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is public liability insurance mandatory ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is public liability insurance mandatory ?

I do IT contracting and I have a current professional indemnity insurance (£1.5 million), however few agents who have spoken to me said that their clients might insist on £5 million + public liability insurance. Can a client insist on having public liability insurance? Just wondering in what way this is relevant to the client?

Yes they can.

The reason is they may not own or lease the entire building they work in. So they share facilities like toilets, lifts, corridors, reception and/or kitchens with other companies. This means if there was an incident in those areas you as a third party supplier wouldn't be covered under the client's public liability insurance.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh and it's cheap to get if you bundle it in with other insurances.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In Brum? Yes

It's very cheap, at least until such time your coffee machine floods the world...

Comment

Do they specify you have to have a gladiator as well?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Do they specify you have to have a gladiator as well?
            You should always have a gladiator....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Oh and it's cheap to get if you bundle it in with other insurances.
              WSES

I'm surprised you don't already have it, most contractor insurance bundles already include PLI (and if you're a ltd co you really should have it).
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If you visit client premises you should have it - their PL insurance won't cover you. If you cause an injury to someone else then you're covered.

Comment

More and more jobs I get now insist on seeing my public liability insurance. It's not mandatory but I'd lose half my jobs if I didn't have it. I would also say that a lot of them are now asking that I have £5million cover as well. At first I thought it was ridiculous and over the top but I think it is just everyone covering their behinds as much as possible. I've got my public liability, employers liability and professional indemnity all on one policy and my insurance broker emails me my documents as a PDF every year so I just forward it on to whoever asks and job done!

Comment

Working...
                  X