• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bird advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird advice

We've a bird outside the back door , it sounds like tree branches squeaking, or a squeaky mattress. It's quite loud but only 'sings' when it's dark so I can't see the darn thing.

Any ideas? I know we have wood pigeon, robins, at least one owl, and had woodpeckers and bull-finches earlier in the year.

One forum mentioned great tits but I'm not sure they hadn't got their wires crossed.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I thought some night owl might've replied already but the only other person on the forum is Atw right now and he clearly knows damn all about birds.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Bird advice

What's the problem? You don't like the sounds of nature on your doorstep?

Sounds like an old crow to me. No idea what the bird is though.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I have got 3 pussies I can use to scare it off if that helps?

Comment

Probably a jackdaw - they have an uncanny ability to mimic everyday sounds they pick up.

Sounds like a squeaky mattress you say? It has obviously spent a lot of time perched outside your bedroom window.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            We've a bird outside the back door , it sounds like tree branches squeaking, or a squeaky mattress. It's quite loud but only 'sings' when it's dark so I can't see the darn thing.

Any ideas? I know we have wood pigeon, robins, at least one owl, and had woodpeckers and bull-finches earlier in the year.

One forum mentioned great tits but I'm not sure they hadn't got their wires crossed.
            Out of curiosity; if you haven't seen it, how do you know it's a bird. We have sparrows pecking insects from the eaves, but only during the day - nocturnal squeaky noises sound more like some kind of rodent. Also squirrels and hedgehogs can make very odd noises.

Comment

Squirrel or Jay.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I thought some night owl might've replied already but the only other person on the forum is Atw right now and he clearly knows damn all about anything
                ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Most birds that aren't nocturnal will be tucked up asleep when it's dark, they won't make any noise. I'd almost put money on it not being a small bird.
                  When you say "outside the door" do you mean it's at ground level (or at least not up in a tree), if so it's an animal, not a bird. Owls will only tend to call when up in trees. When they are down low they tend to be hunting, which requires stealth.
                  It could be a fox.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If it is an owl...
                    http://www.barnowl.co.uk/page34.asp
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X