• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Killer robot + AI apps for the near future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Treating the problem, not the cause.

Why do farmed salmon get lice (and it spreads so fast)?
    1. Not a high enough flow of water through the cages
    2. Too high a concentration of fish per cage
    3. Additives in the food killing off the things that would normally get rid of the lice.
    4. Additives in the food to increase growth at the detriment of health
    Etc.
    unfortunately the economics mean many of those are necessary to make a profit.

A non polluting solution is better than pesticides.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      A non polluting solution is better than pesticides.
      Exactly, and far more selective.

Mark my words, effective "smart" solar-powered robotic pest control will create more than one billionaire before long. Even a robot scarecrow drone, with silhouette enough like a bird of prey to chase birds away from crops, would probably make a mint.

But the web searches I've tried show no indication whatever of how someone like myself, keen to get involved, can find anyone in the UK who might be interested in considering collaborating with this, nor even any forum that seems remotely relevant to it. What a sad state of affairs. I bet there are people in the US beavering away on it in their garages even now, like the guys who founded Google.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Is replacing drivers, pilots and doctors a given? What about carers? Cleaners?
        first use will be where there is danger to the person.

Bomb Disposal - been doing it for years.
        Torpedo/Missile steering - been doing it for years.(yes in WW2 & earlier there were human steered missiles).
        Battlefield - already common place.
        Fire - starting to happen robots & drones in use.
        Rescue Air/Sea/Mountain - starting to happen.
        Nuclear - already common.
        Deep sea exploration - been doing it for years.

Problem is the robots are too expensive and difficult to maintain / program.

As they become more common and cheaper we will see more.

Comment

Robots could soon care for dementia patients | Daily Mail Online

Robots could soon care for dementia patients but experts warn it's 'not a replacement for human contact'
          Tech advancements mean gadgets and apps are already being introduced
          But there may be some potential in robots, researchers said in a new report
          However, they worry that they may be used a substitute for face-to-face care

Comment

I would by a small flying robot to catch mosquitos in my bedroom at night. I hate these little vampires buzzing my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              I would by a small flying robot to catch mosquitos in my bedroom at night. I hate these little vampires buzzing my ears.
              The time to worry is when they suddenly stop buzzing!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Is replacing drivers, pilots and doctors a given? What about carers? Cleaners?
                Drivers and pilots - yes. Doctors - probably not in the near future.

https://hbr.org/2016/11/what-artific...t-do-right-now

"If a typical person can do a mental task with less than one second of thought, we can probably automate it using AI either now or in the near future."

That being said there are many application of machine learning that are assisting medical decisions right now. I remember reading it's been proven a machine can classify brain scan images into tumor/not tumor better than a human expert...
                "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  The time to worry is when they suddenly stop buzzing!
                  I stayed at a place in Mexico, deepest Caribbean coast close to Belize.

The ones there were quite happy to bite in the day.

A visit to the toilet at midday could have 10 attached to you by the time you had finished and washed your hands
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

BBC news channel had a piece this mnorning on machines taking over.

Now they have done an about face.

The 'creepy Facebook AI' story that captivated the media - BBC News

Comment

Horizon was good last night. Talking about deep learning - the tech behind driverless cars, chat bots etc
                      "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                      Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
                      X