Training courses for Banking and Finance Training courses for Banking and Finance - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rl4engc View Post
    Well I don't know what line of work you do (PM? BA?) But I'm not finding that at all. I work in a retail bank in a team of 4 contractors, I commute from 50 miles away, one drives from 40 miles away, the other two live here during the week then train/fly back at weekends. i.e. there's a skill shortage.

    One quote given to the customer if they want this work completed is "If you need people in, you're going to need contractors, and if you need contractors, they're not going to be from round here.."

    Back to OP's question, personally I don't thing a qualification would amount to much, better getting your hands dirty and if you can throw a few keywords round in an interview related to what they might need, you should be OK.
    I think what he is saying is it's awash with people like you. You'll always get preference due to your previous experience in the sector and there are plenty like you. It's going to be very difficult to get in to it when the clients are looking for previous banking experience. They will always pick guys like you over someone with non. The chances of getting a gig with no experience because there isn't anyone else suitable is slim to nil.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  2. #12

    Fingers like lightning

    rl4engc 's job has never been outsourced

    rl4engc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I think what he is saying is it's awash with people like you. You'll always get preference due to your previous experience in the sector and there are plenty like you. It's going to be very difficult to get in to it when the clients are looking for previous banking experience. They will always pick guys like youover someone with non. The chances of getting a gig with no experience because there isn't anyone else suitable is slim to nil.
    I have no previous experience in the sector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

  3. #13

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rl4engc View Post
    I have no previous experience in the sector.
    Oh, well there you go. It can be done!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #14

    Fingers like lightning

    rl4engc 's job has never been outsourced

    rl4engc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oh, well there you go. It can be done!
    To be fair it depends on what line of work you're in.

    I'm 100% coalface; technical; a bottom feeder. I've (always resisted | never had the drive to go into | never had the ability for) management, team leadership etc. like a cockroach avoids the light. Seems to be working well thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

  5. #15

    Banned

    Fronttoback 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rl4engc View Post
    To be fair it depends on what line of work you're in.

    I'm 100% coalface; technical; a bottom feeder. I've (always resisted | never had the drive to go into | never had the ability for) management, team leadership etc. like a cockroach avoids the light. Seems to be working well thus far.
    To be honest, if you are purely a techie I wouldn't bother skilling up on investment banking. You will be wasting your time. You should focus on improving your technical skills. If they have employed you with a purely techie CV and no banking knowledge you will be doing middleware stuff- like connecting systems together. You have a long way to go before you can get near where the money is made.

    If you have managed to blag a business facing role somehow - read All About Derivatives by Michael Durbin for front office knowledge and Securities Operations by Michael Simmons for back office. Here, you are getting into a specialised world and it will take you a number of years to be useful within it.

    Banking IT market is shrinking, the business knowledge value is depreciating for contractors. I would target boring regulatory work if you want longevity in banking.

    There is no background stuff to be done for retail banking really.

  6. #16

    Fingers like lightning

    rl4engc 's job has never been outsourced

    rl4engc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fronttoback View Post
    There is no background stuff to be done for retail banking really.
    The FCA is generating a lot of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

  7. #17

    Banned

    Fronttoback 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rl4engc View Post
    The FCA is generating a lot of work.
    Not even a thank you for my recommendations?

    You had better learn some respect before you enter my world pal. And get rid of that pony tail. You're going into a mans environment with the men. For example, in banking it's common to share urinals. Someone might even piss across you because they are busy and need to get back to the desk. That is what you are getting into. Learn to love it.

  8. #18

    Super poster

    oscarose is NOT a disguised employee

    oscarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    on the path to righteousness
    Posts
    3,194

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Fronttoback View Post

    You had better learn some respect before you enter my world pal.
    one day at a time

  9. #19

    Banned

    Fronttoback 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oscarose View Post
    I know, I know.. I hear ya. You gotta laugh, haven't you love! How's you love?

  10. #20

    Nervous Newbie

    gary666 is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I didn't realise notifications didn't come through when comment made. Thanks for 1 or 2 helpful comments

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •