• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract hours

If you have a contract with an agency for a certain number of hours per week. But once you start the job the hours are less. Where do you stand? They are telling me they only have to pay me for the hours I work and not as per contract.

Originally posted by Craiggg73 View Post
    If you have a contract with an agency for a certain number of hours per week. But once you start the job the hours are less. Where do you stand? They are telling me they only have to pay me for the hours I work and not as per contract.
    Try re-posting this Q in the Business/Contracts section (and the more info you provide, the more help you're likely to get).
    You'll get no help whatsoever in General as a rule. My 2p worth is probably not even worth that, as I only ever negotiate a daily rate, but the whole point about contracting is you get paid for the work you do, and if there isn't enough work for a full 40 hour week, you won't be paid for a 40 hour week. Based on the limited information you have given, I'd be negotiating for a 4 day week, and have a spare day to work on something else, or go and watch the cricket. I'm assuming you're new to contracting, in which case you'd better be ready for things like this (and worse). All part of the life, I'm afraid.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If you're on an hourly rate you bill for the hours you worked.

If you're on a day rate you bill for each day you've worked, even if the client has told you to go home as there isn't enough work.

Comment

No I have been contracting for over 10 years but never come across this problem. I signed a contract to work abroad the contract said working an hourly rate and stated the working week was 45 hours. However once arrived the working week is only 49 hours. So was wondering where I stand with the missing 5 hours as per the contract.

Comment

No I have been contracting for over 10 years but never come across this problem. I signed a contract to work abroad the contract said working an hourly rate and stated the working week was 45 hours. However once arrived the working week is only 49 hours. So was wondering where I stand with the missing 5 hours as per the contract.
          You will get paid the hours you work, no more, no less, as your sums do not even make sense let’s just say the extra hour is an unpaid lunch
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Erm... 45 - 49 = +5 ??? Do you want to try that one again?

Or are you saying that you're only getting paid the 45 hours in your contract not the 49 hours you are working (assuming you are)?

When you can be bothered explain yourself properly, we might be bothered to offer an opinion.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I don't see any problem here if you work 5 hours or 12 hours a day they will pay you. It sounds very flexible to me.

You can't ask to pay hours that you don't work. Common sense.

Comment

You can suck it up or give notice.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  You can suck it up or give notice.
                  On the plus side, it places the contract outside of IR35 as it demonstrates that there is no mutuality of obligation. You did get in writing, right?

Comment

No it was a mistype. Contract is 45 hours but only working 40. Surely I should be paid as per the contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X