• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stressful week and what a morning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pangeakiller View Post
    ... What a depressing world? Brexit has got nothing to do if the client co has no long term vision. After all where are you going to find all these techies and Phds? In Germany? Ireland? France? Those countries are just starting to capitalise the chaos. It will probably take them 10 years to attract the same level of people like the UK and US. Banks don't pay any tax in any country...
    That part is rather arrogant. I have worked in teams with multinational techies in multinational companies across twelve European Countries. Currently my client co is a US corp with their European HQ in Sofia.

There is a wealth of European Talent many with Phds with experience in Banking. I work with some East Europeans who got their Phds in at the University of Southern California. Having also worked in the private and public sector in the UK, I have to say that highly talented IT staff are the exception rather than the rule.

Regarding Banks and Tax, I suggest you read this.
    https://www.pwc.co.uk/assets/pdf/tot...ector-1909.pdf
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

When I get bored of the furniture, I go sit in another house.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Feck me, this sockie account is a slow burner.
        The MF one?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Thought I was still watching Jackanory.

I do love stories of contractors pissing it all up against a wall and then the world falls out of their arse when a gig finishes. A source of much mirth and merriment.
          Got to be fair Im with NLUK on this one - 2nd time ever I think.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

OP - Couple of points that some others have made.

1. Get your finances sorted. Priority number 1 is making sure you've got money if a gig doesn't get renewed.

2. Lower your spending a bit to achieve number 1. Private school seriously?

3. Sort you Mrs out. Its not 1950 - its not your sole job to bring money into the house. She sounds pretty clueless. She needs to realise that income may be high buts its temporary. That comment about asking the client to extend so you can pay for private school - that would have been funny to watch!

4. As above. Get your Mrs a job. Its not 1950. Some income is better than nothing when your on the bench.

5. Get clued up on how contract recruitment works. Get on jobserve, linked in etc. Ge the CV sorted.

6. Doing your CV for two hours at client site? Sure we all do it but two hours?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              6. Doing your CV for two hours at client site? Sure we all do it but two hours?
              That's exactly one third the average number of daily hours spent on CUK at the clinets site by some people on here..

And OP, I'd immediately hang up on any pimp that suggested I need to get a Snapchat/Social Media profile to apply for a gig. 100% of my contracts have come from good old CV.
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

4. As above. Get your Mrs on the dole. Some income is better than nothing when your on the bench.
                FTFY
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Get the missus to go to work or take the kids out of private school. If for some reason you (or she) think that she shouldn't work and earn money, then you're going to have to take your kids out of private school
                  Next, sign up to a home finance course or speak to professional advisors - maybe at your local bank - and learn to save rather than spend everything.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

I was starting to enjoy the story - shame the ending wasn't more satisfactory

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Get the missus to go to work or take the kids out of private school.
                      My mate Colin's wife didn't work. He had three kids in private education. He used to say he worked until September every year just to cover the school bills. He always had enough money to last about two weeks and was always having to pay the Revenue in instalments after his accounts went in. However he's been contracting for about twenty years and managed to avoid downtime in the main. The kids have gone now and he's getting flush.

So you can defy gravity.
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X