• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abolishing Tax Discs a Revenue Winner for HMG.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    As I know and work with a few of the people who did some of this stuff I know they did a lot of investigation into this.

They are losing £78 million because people know they should be paying road tax but are not.

This concept that because I cannot see my tax disc I forget to get one is and has been proven to be absolute bollox and is simple an excuse for not getting their tax disc.

You get a reminder through the post - at that point you need to look to get your new tax disc.

The people who do not are the same people who would not give a fook their paper tax disc was out of date.
    The annual report also showed that in the three years to April there had been a 168% increase in out of court settlements for unpaid vehicle tax; a 155% increase in the number of penalties issued; and a 159% increase in prosecutions.
    Does suddenly see like there are many more, suddenly, however.

Coincidence
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Does suddenly see like there are many more, suddenly, however.

Coincidence
      That is because they are now catching more people.

Not because there are more people to catch but because technology makes it easier to catch those dodging tax.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        This isn't the government being efficient, it's UNELECTED BUREAUCRATS!!!

Once we leave the EU we can go back to the paper disk system and stop having our country controlled by these people :
        Here in this part of age EU (Ireland) cars still have huge wallets on the windscreen with the NCT (MOT), Insurance and Motor Tax info on them.

And if car has Mph on speedo instead of Kph, there's a little converting stuck on the dash too sometimes!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          A tax disc is a visual reminder that you need to tax a car.

Remove the tax disc and lots of people forget whether they receive a letter or not.
          I've set up an annual direct debit (there's a monthly one too I think) - I never need to be reminded again.

No tax disc on the car to remind you is a poor excuse - set up a reminder on your phone, put a post it up in your kitchen, write it in your diary...

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
            Create a DD...simples...
            ^ This ^

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              I've set up an annual direct debit (there's a monthly one too I think) - I never need to be reminded again.

No tax disc on the car to remind you is a poor excuse - set up a reminder on your phone, put a post it up in your kitchen, write it in your diary...
              Nah I just pay as soon as I get the letter.

I don't like giving the government my bank account details.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nah I just pay as soon as I get the letter.

I don't like giving the government my bank account details.
                Hate to break it to you but they already know it.

And your filthy surfing habits!

Comment

A tax disc is a visual reminder that you need to tax a car.

Remove the tax disc and lots of people forget whether they receive a letter or not.
                  If this was a better system, why don't we get a paper sticker to remind us of all the other bills and taxes we need to pay for?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    And your filthy surfing habits!
                    Not mine; my browsing history is strictly between me and my VPN provider.
                    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

For those of you who find it too hard to remember to pay the tax when you get a letter or to set up a DD, there's no law saying you can't print the renewal date on a piece of paper and stick that in your windscreen.
                      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                      X