• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abolishing Tax Discs a Revenue Winner for HMG.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    It doesn't work like that. They send you a paper reminder with a 16 digit code which you enter online, the system checks you have a valid MOT & Insurance, and then you are invited to pay them £245 or whatever it is for the year.

The online system is much easier than going to the post office, but it's certainly not perfect. If, for any reason, you don't get that bit of paper, you are pretty well screwed.
    Also, the reminder (V11) is valid for only 28 days. After that, the 16 digit number is not recognized.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Thr problem i have is the fact that you have to retax a car when you purchase it meaning that HMRC get double tax unless you buy the car on the lat day of the month. With contractor car road tax running at 500 quid this is not an insignificant amount of money.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

and then you are invited to pay them £0 for the year if you drive a hybrid.
        FTFY
        • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
        • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Thr problem i have is the fact that you have to retax a car when you purchase it meaning that HMRC get double tax unless you buy the car on the lat day of the month. With contractor car road tax running at 500 quid this is not an insignificant amount of money.
          Yep - almost 40 minutes pay! Bastards.
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

and then you are invited to pay them £0 for the year if you drive a hybrid.
            Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
            FTFY
            How long do you think it's going to stay at £0 when everyone's driving hybrids or all electrics? I don't know how much it costs to run the DVLA annually, but whatever it is, we'll still be paying for it. It probably won't be called VED any more, but you can bet whatever you like it won't be zero.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

How long do you think it's going to stay at £0 when everyone's driving hybrids or all electrics? I don't know how much it costs to run the DVLA annually, but whatever it is, we'll still be paying for it. It probably won't be called VED any more, but you can bet whatever you like it won't be zero.
              They will just charge everyone within a driving license a tax as it's only fair.....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                £500 per year = £42 per month. On average, a buyer would be losing half of that. Irritating, but hardly significant.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  £500 per year = £42 per month. On average, a buyer would be losing half of that. Irritating, but hardly significant.
                  Lets not mention the Motor Tax here in Ireland, blatant rip off!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Lets not mention the Motor Tax here in Ireland, blatant rip off!!
                    Don't get me started

Comment

Working...
                    X