• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abolishing Tax Discs a Revenue Winner for HMG.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abolishing Tax Discs a Revenue Winner for HMG.

However, previously released figures show that about 60,000 cars were being clamped by agencies employed by the DVLA before the tax discs were abolished in October 2014.

The annual report also showed that in the three years to April there had been a 168% increase in out of court settlements for unpaid vehicle tax; a 155% increase in the number of penalties issued; and a 159% increase in prosecutions. Motorists have been charged up to £800 each for not paying their vehicle tax on time.

The increase in enforcement orders for vehicle tax followed the end of the government’s demands for drivers to display a valid tax disc in 2014 and the end of the transfer of tax with a vehicle when bought by a new owner.

The enforcement has increased revenue for the government but will anger motoring organisations who argue that enforcing vehicle tax has become a money-making exercise. About £5.9bn a year is raised from VED.
    FFS, anyone sensible knew this was going to happen

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ear-dvla-discs
    The Chunt of Chunts.

What's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      What's the problem?
      A tax disc is a visual reminder that you need to tax a car.

Remove the tax disc and lots of people forget whether they receive a letter or not.

Some people don't have the correct address registered for their car with DVLA therefore they don't get reminder letters.

In my area I see at least one car in the streets next to mine clamped every month with a sticker indicating the owner hasn't paid VED.

Oh and you have to pay extra to have the clamp removed.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        What's the problem?
        I'm with you on this.

Pay your road tax or get a fine.

We have saved money not having to issue paper tax discs

The improved connected systems make it easier for authorities to fine and punish offenders.

Everyone always moans about government inefficiencies - well here is some government efficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Everyone always moans about government inefficiencies - well here is some government efficiencies.
          This isn't the government being efficient, it's UNELECTED BUREAUCRATS!!!

Once we leave the EU we can go back to the paper disk system and stop having our country controlled by these people :
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Create a DD...simples...
            one day at a time

Comment

Philip Gomm of the RAC Foundation said it was still unclear how much non-payment was deliberate and how much was accidental.

“The report highlights major changes to the VED system in recent years and the data suggests there are still too many people unaware that when they buy a car the tax no longer comes with it.

“The best system is one where there is zero non-compliance rather than the need for increased enforcement. If this is to be achieved perhaps better communications with drivers is required.”.

The DVLA said in the report the 1.4% evasion rate for the tax is equivalent to £78m of lost revenue.
              The government scrapped the need for drivers to display a valid tax disc, saying it would save the taxpayer £10m a year by making the system more efficient.
              Save £10million a year.

Less efficient system as the most cost effective is to comply.
              Says they are losing £78m a year due to lost revenue.

Doesn't all sound that great to me
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Less efficient system as the most cost effective is to comply.
                Says they are losing £78m a year due to lost revenue.
                LOL!

Who's in charge of this?...
                one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
                  LOL!

Who's in charge of this?...
                  Someone who thought making government digital meant that you could ignore human behaviour.

There is a reason why people study and research design, processes and human computer interaction.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Someone who thought making government digital meant that you could ignore human behaviour.

There is a reason why people study and research design, processes and human computer interaction.
                    As I know and work with a few of the people who did some of this stuff I know they did a lot of investigation into this.

They are losing £78 million because people know they should be paying road tax but are not.

This concept that because I cannot see my tax disc I forget to get one is and has been proven to be absolute bollox and is simple an excuse for not getting their tax disc.

You get a reminder through the post - at that point you need to look to get your new tax disc.

The people who do not are the same people who would not give a fook their paper tax disc was out of date.

Comment

Working...
                    X