• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NEST - anyone got one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEST - anyone got one?

Not installed mine yet.

I understand how it learns about heating but how on earth does it learn when you need hot water?

I can foresee a few cold morning showers!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Not installed mine yet.

I understand how it learns about heating but how on earth does it learn when you need hot water?

It is linked to your bank account to see when your Giro comes in, and then it calculates your fortnightly signing on day, and turns the hot water on the night before to make sure you get a shower and turn up looking ready for work.

Comment

I had one - very nice but despite my heating system being compliant and standard, needed extra bits and an engineer in the end.

Comment

how on earth does it learn when you need hot water?
        I've had a super advanced system installed in my house for about 15 years that solves this problem.

What happens is, when you turn a hot tap on, the boiler detects this and switches on instantly.
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Sorted....

Comment

Not installed mine yet.

I can foresee a lot worse than that when it gets hacked or DoS'd, or the cloud crashes. Like so many things these days, it's a solution to a problem which doesn't really exist.

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
              I've had a super advanced system installed in my house for about 15 years that solves this problem.

What happens is, when you turn a hot tap on, the boiler detects this and switches on instantly.
              Ooh i've got one of these as well...

Comment

Looked at Nest, but decided on Tado instead......had installed for a few years now, from Beta to latest incarnation and it is very good.

In answer to original question, I don't know the answer!!! Tado, for example, uses presence detection (devices with app and geolocation) in tandem with a programmed setup....so, hot water and/or heating times are set, as with a regular timer, but if users are not home they won't happen = simples
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Not installed mine yet.

If it does manage it could possibly the only intelligent thing that has the ability to learn and can make a decision in your household.

PC out done by a thermostat.. Whoddathunkit.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 26 July 2017, 09:50.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It learns when you need things, based on usage and presence detection (either motion sensor or knowing when your phone is nearby).

Or just get a decent boiler that does hot water on demand and not worry about it.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X