• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All diesel and petrol car sales to be banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    A two wheel drive vehicle with a decent set of tyres for the conditions (e.g winter tyres in the winter), and with a driver with a modicum of driving ability*, is perfectly safe...

*something that does seem to be increasingly lacking these days - I swear it's down to complacency and/or laziness due to all the driver aids in modern cars.
    Indeed..

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Indeed..

*shock horror* I've just "liked" one of Scooter's posts

Test does prove the point, although as they pointed out in the video, the "4x4" they used for the test wasn't a permanent 4x4. Had they used one of those I'd have expected it to perform somewhat better on summer tyres.

Nevertheless there's nothing wrong with 2wd, driven properly and with the right tyres for the job. The whole "4x4 is safer" thing is simply marketing hype to sell more Chelsea tractors to the masses.
      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        And what about the millions' of homes without off-street parking?
        May I refer you to my earlier post

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Really? So who's giving away all this free electric then, because all the charge points I've ever seen want your cc details, or you need to be on a pre-arranged account. And where do you think all that Lithium for the batteries comes from? I'm still reading up on how catastrophic that process is for the environment, and your average Greenie would ban electric cars in a heartbeat based on some of the stuff I've read so far. If electric really is the future, the planet is still basically buggered, so don't feel too smug about your great "deal". It won't last long when the lost revenue needs to be recouped.
        Various organisations pay for it - In the main it is probably all of us via our taxes, but not all (e.g. if you charge at Ikea, you get a credit if you buy stuff in the store, so Ikea pay for it). In Scotland at least, most of the public charge points are covered by one umbrella organisation (Chargeplace Scotland). You register your payment details once. Some "Hosts" cost to charge, some don't and you can see this information in the app. If they do cost to charge then you pay Chargeplace Scotland who then sort out the payments to each of the different hosts thereby keeping things clean and simple for the drivers.
        I completely agree about the planet being buggered and I didn't buy the car for that reason, I'm not trying to be smug, just trying to give useful information based on my knowledge and experience.
        Back at the coal face

Comment

Exactly (you forgot speed bumps). And 4 wheel drive is a lot safer in the wet, snow & ice, i.e. on the 345 days the sun isn't shining.
          4x4 on summer tyres/low profile ones will generally be less stable than a 2wd with wet/M&S tyres.
          4 wheel drive is also 4 wheel drive, it does not mean better braking or steering, again something that many townies fail to realise.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            4x4 on summer tyres/low profile ones will generally be less stable than a 2wd with wet/M&S tyres.
            4 wheel drive is also 4 wheel drive, it does not mean better braking or steering, again something that many townies fail to realise.
            Correct, it does mean better traction (grip) though, so unless you drive like a numpty you should be less prone to skidding. A crap driver is still going to crash, eventually.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Correct, it does mean better traction (grip) though, so unless you drive like a numpty you should be less prone to skidding. A crap driver is still going to crash, eventually.
              It only means better traction when you are not coasting or braking and when you are using tyres that are appropriate for the conditions.
              And the traction benefits in reduced grip situations are lessened if the car is not permanent 4wd.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
              X