• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All diesel and petrol car sales to be banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    Not kept track, but I worked out it is less than 3p per mile if I do all my charging at home. Most public chargers are free to use (for now...) so it is less than that.
    Really? So who's giving away all this free electric then, because all the charge points I've ever seen want your cc details, or you need to be on a pre-arranged account. And where do you think all that Lithium for the batteries comes from? I'm still reading up on how catastrophic that process is for the environment, and your average Greenie would ban electric cars in a heartbeat based on some of the stuff I've read so far. If electric really is the future, the planet is still basically buggered, so don't feel too smug about your great "deal". It won't last long when the lost revenue needs to be recouped.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      The earlier poster and you are wrong on that. They are not banning petrol and diesel cars in 2040, but the sale of new ones.
      A sublte, but significant, difference
      Yep. And look at how long the resourceful Cubans have been able to keep '50s American cars running...

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        They can get the electric bus.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I wonder where bikes fit into the equation? Will they be exempt? After all, it's not motorcycles that are sitting in traffic jams belching tons of NOx into the atmosphere.
          A study in Belgium found that if just 10% of cars were replaced by motorcycles in our most congested cities then congestion would be reduced by a massive 40% and also cut up to 15,000 hours a day of vehicles being sat stationary in traffic.
          (link).

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            Not sure if this has been mentioned but I wonder where bikes fit into the equation? Will they be exempt? After all, it's not motorcycles that are sitting in traffic jams belching tons of NOx into the atmosphere. (link).
            I'm surprised those mini "bike-cars" never took off in cities. I think BMW made one? It's just a bit bigger than a bike but enclosed, so you are protected from the elements. Much cheaper to run, easier to park and makes a lot more sense than the current model of using a 1T machine to move an 80kg human.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
              I'm surprised those mini "bike-cars" never took off in cities. I think BMW made one? It's just a bit bigger than a bike but enclosed, so you are protected from the elements. Much cheaper to run, easier to park and makes a lot more sense than the current model of using a 1T machine to move an 80kg human.
              Yes, indeed. I'm no greeny but I often think how ludicrous it is to have huge powerful machines moving (or often not moving) a paltry human being.

Comment

Yes, indeed. I'm no greeny but I often think how ludicrous it is to have huge powerful machines moving (or often not moving) a paltry human being.
                Cities should have had something like a congestion charge for all regular vehicles and made bikes/car-bikes exempt along with building trucks and delivery vehicles. We have plenty of grocery delivery services now, so having a boot isn't really required for day to day life anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
                  We have plenty of grocery delivery services now, so having a boot isn't really required for day to day life anymore.
                  We have tarmac on the roads now, but that doesn't stop townies from buying 4x4s
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I wonder where bikes fit into the equation? Will they be exempt? After all, it's not motorcycles that are sitting in traffic jams belching tons of NOx into the atmosphere. (link).
                    absolutely great until we close a road off so the Police can scrape what is left of some plonker bike (cycle or motor) rider off the road who thought doing wheelies on a main road was a good idea.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      We have tarmac on the roads now, but that doesn't stop townies from buying 4x4s
                      Most of the UK roads are now only about 50% tarmac. The rest being missing surface, pot hole and badly repaired lumps.
                      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                      X