• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things that make you feel old

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    OMG lol. Well remembered.

There you go kids.. It's not big or cool!

On a side note, it makes me gufaw looking at who got banned and why!
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 July 2017, 18:36.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thing is, I don't ever remember anyone telling us it was wrong to mock him - I'm pretty sure if my kids had done what we did, teachers and parents would have put a stop to it. Really was different times...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Thing is, I don't ever remember anyone telling us it was wrong to mock him - I'm pretty sure if my kids had done what we did, teachers and parents would have put a stop to it. Really was different times...
        Absolutely but the reason I mentioned whether kids were the same was the fact it seemed to be common not that long ago for kids to call each other 'Jew'. Dunno if it was a local thing but in this day and age that seemed particularly out of order. Was actually mocking the afflicted but just struck me as out of place.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Absolutely but the reason I mentioned whether kids were the same was the fact it seemed to be common not that long ago for kids to call each other 'Jew'. Dunno if it was a local thing but in this day and age that seemed particularly out of order. Was actually mocking the afflicted but just struck me as out of place.
          Yep - my youngest, who is good as gold, got excluded for a day for calling another kid "Jew" when he was in year 7, so probably about the same age we were doing the Joey thing. When we spoke to him about it he was pretty upset - he'd really seemed not to have made any association with the word he was using and Jewish people (he claimed to have thought the word was Due)- it was just a word you called someone when they annoyed you. All the kids used it. But the point there is that he was told it was wrong, understood why, and stopped using it. No-one seemed to think that using Joey as an insult was wrong (and we knew exactly what it meant)
          Last edited by mudskipper; 26 July 2017, 18:51.

Comment

I once worked with someone who had been dealing with computers since 1948. That always makes me feel young.

I try to ignore the incident in the Smithsonian where they had a VAX2 used on the space shuttle. I remember that coming out.

Comment

My children tell me they've never seen Grease!

Comment

That said they put a lady with her arm missing from below the elbow on children's TV
                Saw weather forecaster ditto the other day. As long as it doesn't impede the job they're doing seems good.

Back on topic, what makes me feel old is not being able to remember anything that makes me feel old.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Saw weather forecaster ditto the other day. As long as it doesn't impede the job they're doing seems good.

Back on topic, what makes me feel old is not being able to remember anything that makes me feel old.

Whats making me feel real old now is remembering the weather girl I used to know
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Things that make me feel old...

Nippers wondering why I always set the Windows command prompt colours to green on black...

The realisation that a lot of the music CDs I listen to were recorded 30+ years ago
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

When wagging of school meant a day of watching Welsh telly...

Comment

Working...
                      X