• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things that make you feel old

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Dunno about changing attitude. Probably put the cause back a generation.

That said they put a lady with her arm missing from below the elbow on children's TV not so long ago and it still raised a stink, from parents this time. I guess you can change the majority put some people just can't be changed.
    She was very good and it is a good thing to have these role models. The youngest at the age of three had a friend at pre school with a very similar condition and was immediately able to recognise the similarity and it was never an issue in their friendship.

Pretty sad that some parents objected.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Oh yes. So many upgrades and new installations, rates were sky high.
      At the time my rate was so high I allowed the juniors to cover it obviously whilst I partied and drank champagne

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I once worked with someone who had been dealing with computers since 1948. That always makes me feel young.

I try to ignore the incident in the Smithsonian where they had a VAX2 used on the space shuttle. I remember that coming out.
      Always love a post that mentions a VAX. The first 'big' computer I used at college was a DECSystem20, then for my degree I wrote an image processing program on a VAX Microvax II, and finally my first employment was with DEC - happy days

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      Nippers wondering why I always set the Windows command prompt colours to green on black...
      It's the law isn't it

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
        Always love a post that mentions a VAX. The first 'big' computer I used at college was a DECSystem20, then for my degree I wrote an image processing program on a VAX Microvax II, and finally my first employment was with DEC - happy days
        I started on MVS, then VM, then VAX, then PCs. Nowadays it's all on the cloud, innit? It got smaller and smaller and finally disappeared.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Mr ms still makes his living doing VMS support.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Mr ms still makes his living doing VMS support.
            That is so cool

Comment

I feel old when I have to input my DOB using sliding dial thingies having to keep scrolling to get the year - and scroll some more...
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I started on MVS, then VM, then VAX, then PCs. Nowadays it's all on the cloud, innit? It got smaller and smaller and finally disappeared.
                Me too and still do (apart from the VAX). Currently working with this: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...mainframe_z14/
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I remember taking the misses nephew and his girlfriend to Liverpool for a visit.

I jokingly pointed out a house and said that's where John Lennon used to live. They had no idea, not a freaking clue who he was.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I remember taking the misses nephew and his girlfriend to Liverpool for a visit.

I jokingly pointed out a house and said that's where John Lennon used to live. They had no idea, not a freaking clue who he was.
                    Imagine...
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                      I feel old when I have to input my DOB using sliding dial thingies having to keep scrolling to get the year - and scroll some more...
                      Sure-fire sign is when there are age brackets - the sense of doom when having to select the next grouped ages
                      latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Working...
                      X