• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employment Tribunal Fees Unlawful

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment Tribunal Fees Unlawful

I know this doesn't apply to most of us but it will help family and friends.

linky

Fees for those bringing employment tribunal claims have been ruled unlawful, and the government will now have to repay up to £32m to claimants.

The government introduced fees in 2013 to reduce the number of malicious and weak cases, but that led to a 79% reduction over three years.

Trade union Unison argued that the fees prevented workers getting access to justice.

The Supreme Court also found fees were indirectly discriminatory to women.

It ruled the government was acting unlawfully and unconstitutionally when it introduced the fees.
    Last edited by WTFH; 26 July 2017, 11:25. Reason: FTFY
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

i thought this was a grauniad link

Comment

The Supreme Court also found fees were indirectly discriminatory to women.
      Is that because there were less claims from Women due to them having to ask their husbands for some more housekeeping to cover the cost of the tribunal?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Is that because there were less claims from Women due to them having to ask their husbands for some more housekeeping to cover the cost of the tribunal?
        Lots of women want to take their employer/ex-employer to court over discrimination due to reasons related to pregnancy. The fees for discrimination cases are higher hence Unison could argue that it was discrimination against women in providing access to justice.

Edited to say: Due to the Tories have a poor majority they cannot bring in a new bill to make the fees lawful

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          i thought this was a grauniad link
          If it's breaking news I tend to look at the Beeb, Sky etc first.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Lots of women want to take their employer/ex-employer to court over discrimination due to reasons related to pregnancy. The fees for discrimination cases are higher hence Unison could argue that it was discrimination against women in providing access to justice.

Edited to say: Due to the Tories have a poor majority they cannot bring in a new bill to make the fees lawful
            its a bloody good thing. It was a nasty idea and saved sod all. It has however caused a 70% drop in cases.

If the cases are vexatious that is for the Judge to decide.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              its a bloody good thing. It was a nasty idea and saved sod all. It has however caused a 70% drop in cases.

If the cases are vexatious that is for the Judge to decide.
              Some of the vexatious cases I've heard about have been from the government civil service e.g. about men having to wear ties and a few people who make repeat cases.

Comment

Some of the vexatious cases I've heard about have been from the government civil service e.g. about men having to wear ties and a few people who make repeat cases.
                Then let a judge / CPS triage them.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Don't get me started on the double standards that men are forced to endure. Wearing ties and suits, just because women find them sexy. Makes me blood boil, I'm more than a clothes horse - I have feelings and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Don't get me started on the double standards that men are forced to endure. Wearing ties and suits, just because women find them sexy. Makes me blood boil, I'm more than a clothes horse - I have feelings and the like.
                    I don't find ties or suits sexy.

However some people involved in deciding uniform policies have warped ideas of what both men and women should dress like.

Comment

Working...
                    X