• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Milk is inhumane

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    This is where personal feelings on how animals are treated differ. I understand that it's been our part in the food chain since forever and that nature is brutal when it comes to packs of hyenas eating baby gazelles alive
    You can have your opinion/theory about what humans should or should not eat, but if you're going to make claims about how other animals act, at least get the facts right.
    Hyena are scavengers. They do not eat living creatures. They scavenge dead flesh, either by finding it or by chasing other hunters off it. Their noses are tuned to pick up the smell of blood and rotting flesh.
    Their top speed is about 60km/h, whereas the three remaining subspecies of Nanger all manage at least 80km/h

Or, to put it another way, the idea of a "pack of hyenas eating baby gazelles alive" isn't something that would happen.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      linky

Fecking snowflakes.
      I drink milk a lot, I'm worse than a Dutch.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        You can have your opinion/theory about what humans should or should not eat, but if you're going to make claims about how other animals act, at least get the facts right.
        You still haven't got the hang of this, have you?

Comment

It's also worth pointing out that the human gut is designed for processing proteins and fats, it's not so good at processing carbohydrates. Most creatures that only eat carbs have a digestive track adapted to do so. Ours isn't. When humans eat too many carbs, it leads to diseases such as diabetes and weight gain, because carbs are inefficient for the human digestive system.
          The way some people get round that is by taking multiple tablets or unnatural chemical foodstuffs to try to make up for the lack of good proteins and fats in their diet.
          As humans it is only in the last few decades that these chemicals have been used, as yet there are no trials showing the long term effects of them and the human race has not adapted to them.
          I would rather eat a natural, balanced, seasonal diet, than one that requires unnatural chemicals, or causes a massive drain on the world's resources while wiping out species, but all to keep some people happy who then want to scorn anyone who wants to live healthily with a natural diet.

You get your milk flown half way round the world. I get my eggs from the bottom of my garden (rehomed ex-batts)
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's also worth pointing out that the human gut is designed for processing proteins and fats, it's not so good at processing carbohydrates. Most creatures that only eat carbs have a digestive track adapted to do so. Ours isn't. When humans eat too many carbs, it leads to diseases such as diabetes and weight gain, because carbs are inefficient for the human digestive system.
            The way some people get round that is by taking multiple tablets or unnatural chemical foodstuffs to try to make up for the lack of good proteins and fats in their diet.
            As humans it is only in the last few decades that these chemicals have been used, as yet there are no trials showing the long term effects of them and the human race has not adapted to them.
            I would rather eat a natural, balanced, seasonal diet, than one that requires unnatural chemicals, or causes a massive drain on the world's resources while wiping out species, but all to keep some people happy who then want to scorn anyone who wants to live healthily with a natural diet.

You get your milk flown half way round the world. I get my eggs from the bottom of my garden (rehomed ex-batts)
            It's worth pointing out that the human gut isn't designed.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              It's worth pointing out that the human gut isn't designed.
              oi the sky fairy's friend says it was.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Hyena are scavengers. They do not eat living creatures. They scavenge dead flesh, either by finding it or by chasing other hunters off it. Their noses are tuned to pick up the smell of blood and rotting flesh.
                Their top speed is about 60km/h, whereas the three remaining subspecies of Nanger all manage at least 80km/h

Or, to put it another way, the idea of a "pack of hyenas eating baby gazelles alive" isn't something that would happen.
                Point about hyenas is that they eat animals alive without bothering to kill them first - I cited this to illustrate the brutality of nature and 'how things are'.

This post is not about "what humans should or should not eat" it is about how humans treat the animals we eat/harvest. The ethics around mass production and factory farming is the topic I thought we were discussing here.

Like I said in an earlier post - I will eat cheese and eggs from the local butchers because I know the animals are not reared in cages that do not give them enough room to turn around, they get to see the light of day and are cared for and looked after.

What happens to the animals in those mass produced farms is a problem for me therefor I choose not to give them my custom. It's treating them like raw commodities on a production line after spending their entire lives in the same conditions that the Iraqi army are now keeping ISIS prisoners that I don't agree with. It least the ISIS terrorists have done something to deserve it.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  oi the sky fairy's friend says it was.
                  Which one?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't reckon it's the slightest bit cruel to cows, but as they can't speak we can never be entirely sure.

So as an alternative why not pay prolific women milkers if they're up for it?

2017-07-26 Mom-of-two who produces ten times as much breastmilk as the average woman reveals she has donated 600 GALLONS in two years, after pumping for FIVE HOURS every single day

Elisabeth Anderson-Sierra, 29, has Hyperlactation Syndrome, which means that her body produces up to 1.75 gallons of milk every day.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X