• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brummie calls out NLUK on IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    WTF are you on about?

Your post doesn't make sense.
    You could try dictionary.cambridge.org. Just a suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
      No you need to stop posting irrelevant crap on someone else's thread.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Conversely, I would suggest you spend a little more time there yourself.

Your written English is beyond dreadful and that's before we even get to the dubious content.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Thanks - useful context for your post.

cretin
          noun [ C ] UK ​ /ˈkret.ɪn/ US ​ /ˈkriː.t̬ən/ offensive

a very stupid person

Comment

Most of the contractors come and ask the question know what the law states. They are here for the practical point of view. Its the difference between avoidance and evasion.
            I'd suggest most of those posting *think* they know what the law states.

I'll leave others to judge if you fit into that category.

Comment

Original thread derailed, so all off topic moved to here.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If anyone does not like NLUK's advice, they are free to ask for their money back.

NLUK - it serves you right. No good deed goes unpunished. You should tell these people with IR35 questions to ask their accountant.....

Comment

Most of the contractors come and ask the question know what the law states. They are here for the practical point of view. Its the difference between avoidance and evasion.
                  Totally agree with you, Brummie.

99% of all contractors are de facto IR35.

The game you play is judging whether you will be extremely unlucky and get investigated. And then be extremely, extremely unlucky for QDOS not to get you off.

To me it's entirely a question of risk appetite.

A typical dialogue is

OP " If I take a contract where <such-and-such>, what should I do?"

NLUK " You will be deemed to be <whatever>"

Of course the truth is you can do what you like. Nothing happens until your return goes in. Then some process (nobody knows the details) picks out a tiny amount of cases to probe. I worked at HMRC for a while and my sense was they have extremely limited capabilities and freedom to search data to identify suspicious behaviours.

We do know people do get picked upon although I've never met anybody who has or who knows anyone who has. And we know some of them get done although the figures IPSE last produced showed the chances of getting off are almost 100% as long as you go into battle fully tooled up.

However I've said this a number of times on here (ie 'what proof have you got for your barrack room prognostications?') and nobody wants to know.

You might as well give up now.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post

The game you play is judging whether you will be extremely unlucky and get investigated. And then be extremely, extremely unlucky for QDOS not to get you off.

A typical dialogue is

OP " If I take a contract where <such-and-such>, what should I do?"

NLUK " You will be deemed to be <whatever>"

Of course the truth is you can do what you like. Nothing happens until your return goes in. Then some process (nobody knows the details) picks out a tiny amount of cases to probe. I worked at HMRC for a while and my sense was they have extremely limited capabilities and freedom to search data to identify suspicious behaviours.

We do know people do get picked upon although I've never met anybody who has or who knows anyone who has. And we know some of them get done although the figures IPSE last produced showed the chances of getting off are almost 100% as long as you go into battle fully tooled up.

However I've said this a number of times on here (ie 'what proof have you got for your barrack room prognostications?') and nobody wants to know.

This is broadly correct. However, listening to the deranged musings of my old man is not all bad (don't tell him), as long as you only pick out the useful nuggets and ignore his conclusions. You need to make yourself as defensible as possible so take the pointers and see what you can do. Then if you're working in a project on deliverables, in the very unlikely event you are investigated it is very unlikely that you will lose.

If you're a squarely inside IR35 (it is what it is; borderline at best) BAU monkey like PC, then you need to work out whether it is worth the risk that in the very unlikely event that you are investigated, you are significantly more likely to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post

A typical dialogue is

OP " If I take a contract where , what should I do?"

NLUK " You will be deemed to be "

A couple of points here are not correct and there are a couple of reasons why.

Hang around professional long enough and you'll see a vast majority of threads are about the OP not knowing enough about IR35 so totally disagree about people knowing about IR35 and coming on for an opinion. Secondly NATs selective tulip modding failed to being the context over where blossom got a number of factors about IR35 wrong which is why we got in to it in the first place so the evidence is right there in that very thread.

You are right, we don't know so all the more reason to know the finer points to help make your decision about amount of risk hence the discussion.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X