• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You just don't get it!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    WHS. create a tiered system where certain degrees are cheaper than others. Hence media studies you pay twice what physics is.
    The university Chancellors unfortunately worked out a way to line their pockets.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My feeling is the UK is forever looking for short-term solutions to long term problems and pays out twice as much in the long run. The article might well focus on the cost but you also have to focus on the economic benefit. Measure that economic benefit and provide for it at the beginning when education starts.
      I don't disagree with that in principal but, as I said, where is the possible economic benefit of students whose degrees are unlikely to benefit either themselves or the rest of us? We do need to spend money on education for the less advantaged/less able to bring them up but there has to be some cut off point. Probably much better to encourage apprenticeships and part time courses.

Rather off topic but the grade inflation is worrying too, makes degrees increasingly meaningless.
      Number of first class university degrees soars amid grade inflation warning | The Independent
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        We do need to spend money on education for the less advantaged/less able to bring them up but there has to be some cut off point. Probably much better to encourage apprenticeships and part time courses.
        Qualifying entrants is important but when a government supports private business rather than higher education... When you chase profits one can easily misplace the merits of what our great institutions were about in the first place.
        Last edited by scooterscot; 29 July 2017, 16:05.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You just don't get it!

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          While I see why you might think that. If you were offered the chance to own a property with the added benefit of a decade or two of rampant inflation and an interest rate that at some point would balloon to a point where your mortgage on its own would cost more than you earned before tax. Would you want it?

Our little snowy gens seem to have decoupled having every thing with having the best paying job. So you get snivelling articles about ditsy birds that work for the charity sector wondering why she can't live in an area where even I would struggle...

Sorry it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better and if you are really lucky that other nutty bird will get her way and we will get a ban on inheritances...
          Yawn.

How big was the house ;/)

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 29 July 2017, 19:18.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Oh yessssss.

It used to be rare to get a 1st, mostly because of the way it was marked (out of 70 rather than 100 which made it almost impossible back in the day, however the marking scheme changed a few years ago so before long they'll all be getting 1sts).

I didn't say that & you ain't seen me, right?
            If they don't get a 1st it would infringe their human rights.

Comment

Working...
            X