• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK to reduce taxes to undercut EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Yes, because the UK is the largest market for European car makers.

Are you for real?
    I believe you are looking for these statistics...

Motor vehicle trade between the UK and its main EU partners | ACEA - European Automobile Manufacturers' Association

10% tarifs on 25 billion Euro's is going to make a significant dent. I really don't know why anyone would think otherwise...

Comment

For a while Hammond looked like he was going to swing it and make the Tories vaguely electable.

It looks like May wants queues of lorries at the border and empty supermarkets.

Theresa May vows to trash the UK economy

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

Motor vehicle trade between the UK and its main EU partners | ACEA - European Automobile Manufacturers' Association

10% tarifs on 25 billion Euro's is going to make a significant dent. I really don't know why anyone would think otherwise...
        Indeed showing how dependent the UK is on imports. Sure they'll be buying less cars and they'll be out of pocket, but they will still be buying them. It's unlikely the Europeans will be buying UK exported cars.

The UK will get hammered if there is no agreement.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          British people have a lot less choice of cars built in Britain than EU cititzens will have. In the EU you can get all and any type of car and you can easily avoid buying a British built car. If you're British you will more or less be restricted to buying either a Japanese car or Vauxhall. That means the effect of tariffs will simply mean British people will be out of pocket as many will still be buying European built cars and the Europeans who previously bought Japanese cars will switch to French or German cars.

It is pretty clear in a "car war" Britain will lose.
          Just dumped my SL for a Mini (built up the road in Cowely) I can let my daughter drive it, it costs over 50% less to run than the Merc and I am more than happy to have made that change. If I wanted to piss more money up the wall and gone for another 80k car to depreciate like a brick I could have picked any of the Jaguars in the range as well as Aston Martin. I dont think theres a problem finding non EU mainland cars to drive. Even if they are no longer owned by UK companies.

I might even look at a Tesla Model X when the wife car goes next year.

The Model 3 will be a no-brainer for most company car owner that would have owned a 3/5 C or E class. I really don't think the German car options are as strong as they once were when you take the diesel problems into account.

Comment

Just dumped my SL for a Mini (built up the road in Cowely) I can let my daughter drive it, it costs over 50% less to run than the Merc and I am more than happy to have made that change. If I wanted to piss more money up the wall and gone for another 80k car to depreciate like a brick I could have picked any of the Jaguars in the range as well as Aston Martin. I dont think theres a problem finding non EU mainland cars to drive. Even if they are no longer owned by UK companies.

I might even look at a Tesla Model X when the wife car goes next year.

The Model 3 will be a no-brainer for most company car owner that would have owned a 3/5 C or E class. I really don't think the German car options are as strong as they once were when you take the diesel problems into account.
            Once the UK is cut off from the main land, the cars will become worse and worse as they did during the 1960's, and eventually "Red Robo" will reappear, probably under a Corbyn government.

Protectionism always fails in the end.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Who do you think will pay those tariffs?

The UK is not the biggest car buyer in the world. In fact the UK accounts for about 1 in 7 of all German car sales (https://www.vda.de/en/services/facts...s/exports.html). That means 85% of German car sales will be unaffected by a UK trade tariff.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just dumped my SL for a Mini (built up the road in Cowely) I can let my daughter drive it, it costs over 50% less to run than the Merc and I am more than happy to have made that change.
                Ah, you got rid of a Merc and bought a BMW.
                The Diesel engine is pretty good in them - is it the PSA one or the Austrian one they use now?
                The electric version is an interesting one too.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Once the UK is cut off from the main land, the cars will become worse and worse as they did during the 1960's, and eventually "Red Robo" will reappear, probably under a Corbyn government.

Protectionism always fails in the end.
                  You need to go and look up a company called Meritor... They are part of a group of companies that build pretty much all the worlds car components Their reach is pretty all encompassing. I don't think the quality will suffer at all.

You are of course right that protectionism is bad but thats why its great to have the big red button to push. There is a rather dumb attitude that the UK has nothing to offer or use in defence. That could not be further from the truth.
                  Last edited by bobspud; 31 July 2017, 13:45. Reason: cleaned up the text

Comment

I think you just need to watch and wait for the part where we decide that the divorce bill is not worth paying and that Germany and France are going to have to find the cash to plug our contributions and that the European Car manufacturers are going to have to add WTO tariffs costs to their cars.

I think you might find that regardless of the rhetoric there are quite a few Germans sweating at the moment.
                    Maybe even a new ultra tough diesel emissions test and standard...
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Who do you think will pay those tariffs?

The UK is not the biggest car buyer in the world. In fact the UK accounts for about 1 in 7 of all German car sales (https://www.vda.de/en/services/facts...s/exports.html). That means 85% of German car sales will be unaffected by a UK trade tariff.
                      So, 15% of German car sales could be affected - in an economy that is dependent on exports.

Regardless, think about what you are saying. There is no reason for a trade deal to not be struck other than the EU wants to keep EU countries in fear so they dont leave the EU. How mad is that.
                      Last edited by woohoo; 31 July 2017, 13:54.

Comment

Working...
                      X