• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arsenal owner supports trophy hunting of endangered species

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can argue with you. You are too emotional and in denial about the art of the possible using ALTRUISTIC policy alone. I think you are deluded if you think spending thousands of pounds to go and stare at something makes you a long term supporter. You probably just made my friends sister a few thousand rand richer. (she runs tours out there for a significant profit) I most certainly dont want to see those creatures disappear I'm just willing to accept there is a real need to attach a value to them so that everyone understands why its important they are there for the long term.

Here's the original programme: I think it makes for interesting (but distressing) listening.

BBC Radio 4 - Big Game Theory
    Last edited by bobspud; 1 August 2017, 11:12. Reason: sorry spell checker corrected the text in upper case to autistic this was not what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Actually WTFH that is a distortion of the facts.

I've had more than one discussion on game hunting including with Saffers.

The reason for it is that unfortunately humans have destroyed most of the natural habitat therefore the animals that are left live in reserves with fences around them. The reserves can only support so many inhabitants and so the old or sick animals will have to be culled or will be killed by the young animals of their species. To make sure there is enough money to support them they allow people to pay large sums to shoot them.

This is similar to what the Royal Parks do with deer in London every year. Though at the moment they have to pay to cull the deer. Likewise one of the universities I went to with a rabbit problem has to pay to get the same thing to happen.
      ^^^THIS^^^

The fact that only rich dickless bastards pay the money to do the shooting makes a good news story.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Arsenal owner Kroenke's hunting TV app sparks protests - BBC News

You can make jokes about Arsenal and trophies, but killing lions and elephants with rifles is not a sport, nor should it have any place in civilised society.

...and no, local villagers do not eat lion or elephant meat, nor do local villagers benefit financially from billionaires flying in to kill wild animals.
        It's just a channel he happens to own, a small part of his very large sports franchise group. If he pays as much attention to that as he does to Arsenal, I doubt he's even aware what they're doing. Don't bother boycotting Arsenal, he's never there so he won't even notice.
        This "trophy hunting" endangered species thing sickens me (but I do make an exception for foxes).
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          This "trophy hunting" endangered species thing sickens me (but I do make an exception for foxes).
          Ahh it's just a moral objection cos you like those animals but dislike foxes.

When I first heard about it I had an objection but got over it quickly when I realised I lived on and live near places where they do exactly the same sort of wild life management. Unfortunately shooting myxy rabbits and deer doesn't get out the trophy hunters.
          Last edited by SueEllen; 1 August 2017, 12:00.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Actually WTFH that is a distortion of the facts.

I've had more than one discussion on game hunting including with Saffers.

The reason for it is that unfortunately humans have destroyed most of the natural habitat therefore the animals that are left live in reserves with fences around them. The reserves can only support so many inhabitants and so the old or sick animals will have to be culled or will be killed by the young animals of their species. To make sure there is enough money to support them they allow people to pay large sums to shoot them.
            But how often are the trophy hunters actually just going in to shoot one designated animal, and how often are they just shooting an animal that is found for them, regardless of whether it is the "correct" one to be killed?

I have less of an issue with the control of animals that are overpopulating than I have with the trophy hunting of animals that are nearly extinct.

...and I would apply that logic to any species.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

But how often are the trophy hunters actually just going in to shoot one designated animal, and how often are they just shooting an animal that is found for them, regardless of whether it is the "correct" one to be killed?

I have less of an issue with the control of animals that are overpopulating than I have with the trophy hunting of animals that are nearly extinct.

...and I would apply that logic to any species.
              Actually when it comes to hunting the endangered species the government and local game keepers go to great lengths to identify the animal that is allowed to be killed. Then they track it is and take the paying idiot to it so that they know they hit what they came for. There is no way anyone would support the idea otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                Actually there was an amazing programme on radio 4 the other week talking to the hunter that bought the permit to kill a black rhino.

The longest story short is: We all like looking at the 'ickle fluffy lions and big scary rhinos from the safety of a lens sat in our front room 10,000 miles away. But the facts of life that the bunny huggers will never understand is living with a grumpy +200kg lump of human killing bastard on your door step is a severe pain in the arse and one most of them would like to **** off altogether. So if you want to see these beautiful beasts survive you had better get a financial value on them damn fast so that the locals can see a reason to live with them.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  Actually when it comes to hunting the endangered species the government and local game keepers go to great lengths to identify the animal that is allowed to be killed. Then they track it is and take the paying idiot to it so that they know they hit what they came for. There is no way anyone would support the idea otherwise.
                  Perhaps in some parts of RSA, but that isn't always the case.

Comment

Arsenal owner supports trophy hunting of endangered species

Simon the video was interesting, particularly the "in some countries the money goes to conservation" and "in some circumstances hunting may be a good idea", and "sometimes the funding goes to breeding the animals... to kill them" etc.

The generic "trophy hunting is a great idea" as lauded by bobspud is untrue.

Comment

Simon the video was interesting, particularly the "in some countries the money goes to conservation" and "in some circumstances hunting may be a good idea", and "sometimes the funding goes to breeding the animals... to kill them" etc.

The generic "trophy hunting is a great idea" as lauded by bobspud is untrue.
                      Bloody Western Imperialist!

Telling Namibians and South Africans how to manage their wild life. They don't come here and tell us to stop shooting rabbits and deer.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X