• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flagstone Flooring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    As a fan of horror, I am concerned you might release all the evil spirits that have been buried there.
    Have you seen the movie Christine about a Big Red Plymouth....?

Comment

If it's old enough, you might find only soil underneath the flagstones.
      I have to dig some of mine up every few years and infill. -usually the place where we stand in front of the woodburner.

Comment

The problem is that those stones will be bloody freezing which is why they were probably badly covered in the first place.

The fact that the beams are rotting means that moisture has been collecting in the form of condensation.

You would need to do some more examinations and go from there. I might be tempted to rip the floor up and then decide wether or not to lay a damp proof course and insulation under the flag stones to reduce the cold and wet. this will never be a simple job feel free to post some pictures...

Comment

If there's a damp issue, the first thing to do is remove the paint from the walls. The number of people who try to solve damp in old buildings with non-breathable paint is amazing.
          Your walls need to breathe. Seal them and you have a damp problem.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            you have a damp problem.
            Your wife does not have a damp problem. At least not with you.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Your wife does not have a damp problem. At least not with you.
              strange she is always dripping wet when I pop round.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Make sure your tinkering with the floor doesn't end up becoming a 'renovation of a thermal element' and becoming subject to building regs and the utter stupidity within.

#BitterExperience
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  Make sure your tinkering with the floor doesn't end up becoming a 'renovation of a thermal element' and becoming subject to building regs and the utter stupidity within.

#BitterExperience
                  It'll send my EPC rating through the roof, that's for sure. All this insulation & double glazing - it's no wonder I have damp issues. These old properties are supposed to be able to breathe.

Comment

There is always the possibility that you'll unleash an ancient evil.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      There is always the possibility that you'll unleash an ancient evil.
                      Cool
                      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                      X