Flagstone Flooring Flagstone Flooring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

Contractor Among Contractors

Big Blue Plymouth is NOT a disguised employee

Default Flagstone Flooring

I know there's a few old country cottagers on here so I thought I'd canvass your opinion on exposing period features.

Just cut out a section of floor panel to install a hearth in front of my fireplace - what I found was that chipboard floor panels have been laid on batons with polystyrene insulation over an original flagstone floor resulting in a thickness of approx 70mm.

This is an old thatched cottage & the headroom is severely restricted especially in the living room - getting this 70mm back would make all the difference. Restoring a period feature also is appealing.

Anyone done anything like this before? I guess there are pitfalls like cold & damp & the main one playing on my mind is ripping up the existing floor to find that the flagstones don't extend as far as I thought or are in a really bad state of repair meaning I have to relay another floor.

Unfortunately, there's only one way to find out.....
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 1st August 2017 at 13:47.

Fingers like lightning

rl4engc 's job has never been outsourced

Our house is 1920's so not an old cottage but my view is people are only too quick to cover the period features up and the end result generally looks a lot worse. e.g. our house has four fireplaces, only one was in use, I opened up two more and it looks better and gets better airflow.

You might find the chipboard(!) is covering up some issues that have been hidden away, probably just an uneven floor but maybe damp (ironically made worse by the addition of wooden flooring and double glazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

sal 's job has never been outsourced

If you decide to go for it bear in mind that you might have to change the doors and patch the walls (if a drywall was slapped only extending to the new flooring) as there will be a gap at the bottom and also there will be a step/tripping hazard on each doorway, unless you lower all rooms accordingly.

Godlike

BR14 is always on top

what he says, but be careful you haven't just uncovered the original hearth.
    you might be best taking up some unobtrusive bits at the opposite corners to get an idea of the extent of flagstone floor.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Yes, find a corner out of the way and lift it to check there as well.
    Be prepared for your simple little project to get expensive quickly.

And if the bottom of the walls isn't plastered down to the original floor level, just put in oak skirting
    Strong and Stable Moderation

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

You could also try lifting one of the flagstones to see if there's a older layer of Saxon flagstones under that.

OH in Time Team "Look what Oi've foind doiwn 'ere Tony!" mode.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    You could also try lifting one of the flagstones to see if there's a older layer of Saxon flagstones human remains under that.
    FTFY
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Big Blue Plymouth is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by rl4engc View Post
    Our house is 1920's so not an old cottage but my view is people are only too quick to cover the period features up and the end result generally looks a lot worse. e.g. our house has four fireplaces, only one was in use, I opened up two more and it looks better and gets better airflow.

You might find the chipboard(!) is covering up some issues that have been hidden away, probably just an uneven floor but maybe damp (ironically made worse by the addition of wooden flooring and double glazing.
    Yes - the wooden batons were completely rotten.

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    If you decide to go for it bear in mind that you might have to change the doors and patch the walls (if a drywall was slapped only extending to the new flooring) as there will be a gap at the bottom and also there will be a step/tripping hazard on each doorway, unless you lower all rooms accordingly.
    I was thinking of getting a nice bit of hardwood with a chamfer on it to butt up to the raised areas.

Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    what he says, but be careful you haven't just uncovered the original hearth.
    you might be best taking up some unobtrusive bits at the opposite corners to get an idea of the extent of flagstone floor.
    You see, I knew it wasn't a waste of time posing on here. Shame I've just returned the multitool to Brandons...

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    I know there's a few old country cottagers on here
    You're not wrong.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

More fingers than teeth

xoggoth - scorchio!

As a fan of horror, I am concerned you might release all the evil spirits that have been buried there.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)