• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour and Tory rebels plan to keep UK in EEA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Thanks for that. And the Letter?
    Letter?

Today's Prime Minister's flip flop is brought to you by the letter A and the number 50.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Letter?

Today's Prime Minister's flip flop is brought to you by the letter A and the number 50.
      Yeah, my point is that the A50 letter does not mention leaving the EEA.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Because the closet and open Remainers in Parliament don't intend it to be only a 2 or 3 year deal. It's a desperate foot in the door attempt to buy time in making a permanent settlement, deceitfully called transitional, and water down Brexit to practically nothing.
        Cry us a river, snowflake. Sovereignty of parliament, remember?

Comment

Yeah, my point is that the A50 letter does not mention leaving the EEA.
          What you actually mean is "join the EEA", not "leave".
          We are currently members of the EU and as such we are part of the EEA. When we leave the EU, then if we want to be part of the EEA, we will need to join it.
          EEA Agreement | European Free Trade Association
          Joining it means accepting the 4 freedoms

So it would imply that if we are part of the EEA, then we would have to accept those 4 things that are feared/hated by some.

Comment

We are currently members of the EU and as such we are part of the EEA. When we leave the EU, then if we want to be part of the EEA, we will need to join it.

So it would imply that if we are part of the EEA, then we would have to accept those 4 things that are feared/hated by some.
            My understanding is that our membership of the EEA is separate to EU membership.

Comment

But at least the UK would be free of the tyranny of the ECJ, and would instead be subject to the jurisdiction of the EFTA Court, Rue du Fort Thuengen,1499 Luxemburg City, Luxembourg.

Comment

My understanding is that our membership of the EEA is separate to EU membership.
                It may be separate in the sense that non-members of the EU are signed up to it, but they are signed up based on agreeing to the four freedoms.

The "Hard Brexit" cannot exist if we are part of the EEA.

Comment

Labour and Tory rebels plan to keep UK in EEA

It may be separate in the sense that non-members of the EU are signed up to it, but they are signed up based on agreeing to the four freedoms.

If we do indeed decide to take the soft brexit route, from my understanding we just stay in the EEA. Yes the four freedoms remain.

So then it's the issue of the customs union.

Norway is outside; but has some clever seamless border tricks it uses with Sweden. I think we could keep FOM with RofIreland but goods via a Norway tag setup and stay out of the customs union. This would give us the advantage of our own FTAs.

How does that look? Achievable.

Should we do it? Debatable.

Quite honestly if we don't move towards some peace and reconciliation on this topic it will be a festering sore for decades in this country.

Personally I'm not that bothered enough about FOM to demand outside EEA. I also think it's impossible to deliver given the incompetence of the UK government. Even if the country was 100% behind it they would be incapable of delivering it (all parties are useless IMHO).

So Yes EEA No CU separates us from the vision of the EU states. That's enough for me.

Maybe in 50 years my kids can vote back in. That's down to them. Personally, I done with it all. It's just all too toxic.
                  Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 2 August 2017, 15:43.

Comment

Does anyone know which countries would have to agree for the the UK to leave the EU but remain in the EEA?

Comment

Quite honestly if we don't move towards some peace and reconciliation on this topic it will be a festering sore for decades.
                      That I can agree with you on.

Comment

Working...
                      X