• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The rise of the post-nup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Next time I am only going to marry someone I really love. Myself....

Comment

In my last contract I met a gent who was on his fourth wife.

Are people lacking such self awareness that they don't understand that they can get to know someone - which takes years to even scratch the surface - prior to considering marriage?

It certainly seems unfairly skewed towards the female in the UK, which often seems fair when children are involved. Just two people, the couple, then the women successfully claiming earnings after the marriage has ended simply seems insane, to me.

Encourages me never to marry without many years of thought into it.

Comment

Next time I am only going to marry someone I really love. Myself....
        You'll try to take yourself to the cleaners but the lawyers will end up with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post

Are people lacking such self awareness that they don't understand that they can get to know someone - which takes years to even scratch the surface - prior to considering marriage?

It certainly seems unfairly skewed towards the female in the UK, which often seems fair when children are involved. Just two people, the couple, then the women successfully claiming earnings after the marriage has ended simply seems insane, to me.

Up until 1969 it was equally skewed towards the man.

Often marriage changes people.

Slowly, people are waking up and marriage is going out of fashion. So now the family courts are trying to get involved where couples just live together!

Shakespeare had it right - first lets kill all the lawyers.....

Comment

It's called hope over experience or simply being an idiot. There is a good reason why he has 3 ex-wives and until he works that out he's going to go through another divorce.

Marriage is a partnership. If you are married for a decade or more without children then it is presumed if you are the high earner that the lower earner helped you amass the joint assets even if they didn't work at all during the time you were married.

Unfortunately life doesn't work like that.

I know couples who got married after knowing each other 6 months who are still married 25+ years later, and couples who waited years who are now divorced.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              There is a good reason why he has 3 ex-wives and until he works that out he's going to go through another divorce.
              As long as he remembers to divorce each one before he marries again....

Comment

I know couples who got married after knowing each other 6 months who are still married 25+ years later, and couples who waited years who are now divorced.
                Exactly.

I married my wife 27 years ago having known her for 3 years. We've spent that time getting to know each other more. It's possible to do that within marriage. I think maybe some folk don't quite understand the fact that their spouse is going to change as a person - perhaps not according to their designs - over the years.

According to figure 1a here number of marriages has been declining slowly since 1969. The main driver in my view is that there's nothing the least bit shocking anymore about an unmarried couple not intending to marry.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Up until 1969 it was equally skewed towards the man.

Often marriage changes people.

Slowly, people are waking up and marriage is going out of fashion. So now the family courts are trying to get involved where couples just live together!

Shakespeare had it right - first lets kill all the lawyers.....
                  Shakespeare had it right - Villain, I have done thy mother.

Comment

If you are married for a decade or more without children then it is presumed if you are the high earner that the lower earner helped you amass the joint assets even if they didn't work at all during the time you were married.

Which is a fundamentally flawed notion.
                    Whilst that CAN be the case, each case can be radically different and it ought to be individually assessed.
                    Of course that might not be seen as "fair" in these enlightened times.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Does this apply both ways? I do hope so otherwise it will just drive more men toward the red pill and MGTOW.

Let's not see all this equal rights campaigning fall on deaf ears - women cheat as well...
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X