• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Super" foods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at macronutrients and get the balances right and from good food sources (obviously). What % protein/fat/carbs are best for your body composition etc.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Eat locally and eat seasonally.

Better for you, better for the environment, better for Britain!
      We call it the red, white and blue Brexit diet.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        We call it the red, white and blue Brexit diet.

No jam though, as it is exclusively reserved for the export market.

British tea, jam and biscuits will be at the heart of Britain's Brexit trade plans

Comment

I don't think there's much of a secret to eating healthy. Not that I necessarily stick to it, but I've been watching what I eat a lot more lately and combined with regular exercise (going form practically 0 to 3 times a week in the gym) I've shed some pounds and feel much healthier.

I haven't followed any particular diet, for me it's just been:

-Eat a lot more veggies.
          -Eat less carbs
          -moderate your liquid calories (cut down booze, no soft drinks tea and coffee without sugar)
          -Drink lots of water
          -Plenty of protein
          -Don't worry about fats too much

It's important to know how many calories you need and what you consume, so monitor it with myfitnesspal for a while. I actually found it difficult to overeat just by following the above, particularly when cutting down carbs.

A good tip I heard was to eat 5 'meals' a day. So 3 main meals and 2 snacks. Then make sure you eat right 90% of the time. So in a week that means you're having 35 meals. So 3 or 4 of those can be 'bad' foods and it won't make a huge amount of difference. So instead of some nuts and fruit for a snack you have a bad of crisps. Or instead of a meal of chicken and veggies you have a pizza. It won't matter if it's only 1 in 10.

Comment

Good suggestions there, keep 'em coming!

Originally posted by northernladyuk
            olive oil thing doesn't sound right
            There was summat on "Trust me I'm a doctor", they tested four groups of people (from memory) 1) No change, 2) 30ml normal Oil a day, 3) 30ml Olive Oil a day, 4) 30ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil a day.

After about 6 weeks (I think) their cholestorol levels had reduced ~15% I think in the two groups that had either olive oil, but not in the other two. The "Mediterranean Diet" has lots of neat olive oil on their fruit and fish etc.

James Wong is a Botanist I think so studies the science of plants.

Re: Book, the yanks are terrible eaters, they seem to just binge on everything then follow fads (or take drugs) to try and lose weight.

Originally posted by mudskipper
            refined carbs Haribo and Dunkin' Donuts
            Yep not for me, the odd bit of chocolate, lost my sweet tooth in childhood. A lady I used to sit next to at my last place however could easily finish a packet of chocolate biscuits as a snack.

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla
            Watch out for salt on those pistachios unless they are plain.
            Good tip, I tent to be able to detect (and dislike) too much salt anyway.

Originally posted by SimonMac
            I hear bananas are good for you
            Can't see the YT vid at work, but noted.

Originally posted by scooterscot
            Cut down on red meat. And if you already do cut back some more.
            Will try the peppermint tea, I do like my red meat though. A fresh 100% Beef burger, where's the harm in that do you know? I also like ham but I understand it's the preservatives/curing that's supposed to be bad for you?

Originally posted by WTFH
            eat locally and eat seasonally
            Try to in general, though to be fair the last lot of 100% beef burgers from the butchers tasted like what I'd imagine horse meat would taste like! Our local tomatoes are the best going though.
            Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
            "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              What is the evidence base for that?
              There's plenty of evidence to suggest your body is awash with particles than damage your DNA, which is what really ageing is all about. Antioxidants limit that damage, which are to be found in red wine, cranberries, but they are also heavily concentrated in peppermint.

Health Benefits of Peppermint

Most people are familiar with the flavor of peppermint — it's the plant that gives the candy of the same name its cool burst of flavor. What most people don't know, however, is that peppermint is an herb with a very high concentration of antioxidants. The health benefits of peppermint are primarily due to its antioxidant content.

Peppermint is an excellent source of antioxidants like vitamin C and beta carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the body. Peppermint is also a very good source of fiber, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper, vitamin B2 and omega 3 fats.

Protecting yourself against free radicals with antioxidants is the most effective way to reduce the risk of many health problems associated with aging. The benefits of antioxidants include powerful protection against all types of degenerative diseases such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, macular degeneration, Alzheimer's disease, and many more.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                There's plenty of evidence to suggest your body is awash with particles than damage your DNA, which is what really ageing is all about. Antioxidants limit that damage, which are to be found in red wine, cranberries, but they are also heavily concentrated in peppermint.

Health Benefits of Peppermint
                Yes I understand there is advertising on the Internet with sciencey sounding claims. Just wondering what the evidence base is.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                  -Eat a lot more veggies. ...
                  .. and salad.

This is very true - It's easy to spot who is most likely to keel over and die of a heart attack when they're 50. Just watch them eat a beefburger meal in a pub, and they'll be the ones who leave all the salad in a neat little pile uneaten when they've finished.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                    Eat a lot more veggies.
                    -Eat less carbs
                    -moderate your liquid calories (cut down booze, no soft drinks tea and coffee without sugar)
                    -Drink lots of water
                    -Plenty of protein
                    -Don't worry about fats too much
                    I'd struggle with 5 meals a day, tend to just have lunch at work and tea when I get back. Then the odd snack.

Veg: I prefer a salad (toms/cucumber/onion/cabbage/carrot/peppers/lettuce) I've never really got on with a pile of veg that you'd get with e.g. a roast.
                    Liquid: Soft/fruit drink/tea in the week, cider or red wine at weekend
                    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

People don't tell the truth

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      I've lost all faith in you Scoot.

Maybe antioxidants limit damage but not after they've firstly been through half of your alimentary canal.

I won't be surprised if you take turmeric for some similar spurious reason
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X