• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Super" foods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    But if you grow mint, be sure to keep it in a large pot.

I've found out the hard way that if you plant it in a flowerbed, it spreads like an insanely prolific garden cancer and soon starts swamping everything else.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      But if you grow mint, be sure to keep it in a large pot.

I've found out the hard way that if you plant it in a flowerbed, it spreads like an insanely prolific garden cancer and soon starts swamping everything else.
      That's the first sensible thing you've ever posted.

I blame the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        I've lost all faith in you Scoot.

Maybe antioxidants limit damage but not after they've firstly been through half of your alimentary canal.

I won't be surprised if you take turmeric for some similar spurious reason
        Maybe scooter mainlines it, with a daily injection of concentrated mint tea straight into his carotid artery.

Actually, that might explain a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
          I've lost all faith in you Scoot.

Maybe antioxidants limit damage but not after they've firstly been through half of your alimentary canal.

I won't be surprised if you take turmeric for some similar spurious reason
          You had faith in scooter??

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            There's plenty of evidence to suggest your body is awash with particles than damage your DNA, which is what really ageing is all about. Antioxidants limit that damage, which are to be found in red wine, cranberries, but they are also heavily concentrated in peppermint.
            This experiment pretty much debunks the free radicle/anti-oxidant theory though.

BBC Two - Trust Me, I'm a Doctor, Series 4, Episode 1 - Are ‘antioxidant-rich’ products good for me?

The old ‘free radical theory of aging’ is now thought to be wrong. Instead, it is thought that free radicals are vital signals within our cells to stimulate the body’s own repair and regeneration mechanisms. For example, in one experiment, high doses of antioxidants (in the form of vitamin C) were given to people doing exercise training. Those who were taking the antioxidants failed to get fitter as a result of the training, thought to be because the antioxidants neutralised the free radicals that were signalling that the body respond to the exercise.
            Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
            "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
              This experiment pretty much debunks the free radicle/anti-oxidant theory though.

BBC Two - Trust Me, I'm a Doctor, Series 4, Episode 1 - Are ‘antioxidant-rich’ products good for me?

The old ‘free radical theory of aging’ is now thought to be wrong. Instead, it is thought that free radicals are vital signals within our cells to stimulate the body’s own repair and regeneration mechanisms. For example, in one experiment, high doses of antioxidants (in the form of vitamin C) were given to people doing exercise training. Those who were taking the antioxidants failed to get fitter as a result of the training, thought to be because the antioxidants neutralised the free radicals that were signalling that the body respond to the exercise.
              So if you took a course of concentrated free radicals, you could obtain all the benefits of exercise without the time and effort usually required?

Hmm, I feel a new Plan B coming on, supplying the pills, and a bestselling OwlHoot free radical diet book.

Comment

It's easy to spot who is most likely to keel over and die of a heart attack when they're 50. Just watch them eat a beefburger meal in a pub, and they'll be the ones who leave all the salad in a neat little pile uneaten when they've finished.
                Unlike me who'll order a beefburger meal and a side salad.

What are the best things to shove in a salad? Any exotic stuff like kale, spinach or just the usual suspects?
                Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

So if you took a course of concentrated free radicals, you could obtain all the benefits of exercise without the time and effort usually required?

Hmm, I feel a new Plan B coming on, supplying the pills, and a bestselling OwlHoot free radical diet book.
                  Served on chlorinated chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post

Any 'easy wins' I'm missing? Be particularly interested if it can be all blended into a smoothie and stored in the fridge for having through the week.
                    Smoothies can only count for 1 of your 5 a day regardless of the content as blending fruit & veg affects the nutritional value, and actually releases more sugars than would be present if not blended.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                      Smoothies can only count for 1 of your 5 a day regardless of the content as blending fruit & veg affects the nutritional value, and actually releases more sugars than would be present if not blended.
                      I personally avoid smoothies as they are quicker to digest and have a heck of a sugar spike.
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X